|Directed by||Jesse Thomas Cook|
|Written by||Tony Burgess|
|Starring||Jason David Brown,
|Music by||Nate Kreiswirth|
|Edited by||Jesse Thomas Cook|
Septic Man is a 2013 horror film that was directed by Jesse Thomas Cook. The film had its world premiere at the Austin Fantastic Fest on September 19, 2013, where actor Jason David Brown won "Best Actor" in the Horror Features category. In the film Brown stars as a sewage worker who ends up transforming into a hideous mutant by way of toxic sewage.
Jack (Jason David Brown) is an average sewage worker who has been asked to investigate a water contamination in his hometown that has forced everyone else, including his pregnant wife Shelley (Molly Dunsworth), to evacuate. He decides to investigate the local sewage plant but ends up getting trapped in a septic tank by Lord Auch (Tim Burd) and his brother Giant (Robert Maillet). They refuse to let Jack out despite his pleas and the toxic sewage eventually begins to transform Jack into the hideous mutant Septic Man.
- Jason David Brown as Jack / Septic Man
- Molly Dunsworth as Shelley
- Robert Maillet as Giant
- Tim Burd as Lord Auch
- Julian Richings as Phil Prosser
- Stephen McHattie as Mayor
- Nicole G. Leier as Woman
- Kirill Belousov as Soldier
Ain't It Cool News and Dread Central both praised Septic Man, and Dread Central called it a "bizarre yet inventive film" and remarked that the film would not be for everyone's tastes. Fangoria and Complex both gave negative reviews overall, and Complex wrote that "It's a shame that Septic Man lacks the significance and social commentary of The Toxic Avenger, to which it's frequently compared, and settles for a straightforward plot to please fans of gag-inducing humor."
However, on its UK release, it received negative reviews. The review aggregator website "Rotten Tomatoes" reported that 2 critics gave it a positive review based on 16 critics, with an average score of 3.1/10. "Metacritic", a similar website, gave the film an average score of 8 out of 100, based on 7 reviews, indicating "Overwhelming dislike".
- Best Actor, Horror Features Category at the Austin Fantastic Fest (2013, won - Jason David Brown)
- "The Fantastic Fest 2013 Award Recipients". Fantastic Fest. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "AICN HORROR looks at SEPTIC MAN! ODD THOMAS! LEGEND OF SIX-FINGERS! THE SHADOW! INDIE DIRECTOR! MEMORY OF THE DEAD! REQUIEM FOR A VAMPIRE! HYSTERICAL PSYCHO! BAD DREAMS! & THE CABINING!". AICN. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- McHargue, Brad. "Septic Man (review)". Dread Central. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Zimmerman, Samuel. ""SEPTIC MAN" (Fantastic Fest Movie Review)". Fangoria. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Monroe, Justin. "Fantastic Fest Review: "Septic Man" Has Plenty of Gross-Outs in the Tank But Little Substance". Complex. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Septic Man", Rotten Tomatoes, retrieved 2016-08-22
- "Septic Man", Metacritic, retrieved 2016-08-22