Serafina performing at Corbet Place, 2006.
30 April 1982 |
|Labels||current: Stolen Recordings Ltd; previous: Static Caravan|
In 2007 she released a 7" single and an album entitled Cheap Demo Bad Science on Static Caravan records. Some tracks were recorded and produced in collaboration with Mike Lindsay of folktronica band Tunng, while some were recorded with Kristian Robinson, aka Capitol K. The album opens with a cover version of Brian Eno's "By This River" but all other songs are her own.
In 2010 she released Change is Good, Change is Good, again on Static Caravan. It was described by Jarvis Cocker as one of his favourite albums of the year and well "worth a listen". Recording was interrupted when Steer's harp was stolen from her car. Benge made his collection of analogue synthesizers available to fill in the harp parts. Patrick Wolf described the album in The Observer as if "Stereolab and Shirley Collins made an album together about the trials of 21st-century romance."
Later in 2010, Steer recorded the Bloody Hell EP with Paul Jones of Stolen Recordings. The EP features three songs from Change is Good, Change is Good and two new songs, and includes the art work of Polly Huggett and RWM Hunt. These unadorned "live" harp and voice recordings were intended as a watermark, after months without an instrument and then with a new make of harp.
Her latest album is The Moths Are Real. It is out on Stolen Recordings. It was produced by Jarvis Cocker .
Steer has appeared both live and on record with musicians including Patrick Wolf, Tunng, Capitol K, Cibelle, the Memory Band, Balearic Folk Orchestra, James Yorkston, Adem, Chrome Hoof, Shimmy Rivers and Canal, Leafcutter John, Simon Bookish, and Seb Rochford. She has also worked with Jarvis Cocker and Bat for Lashes.
She has also performed with her brother Sam Steer, who did the animation for the music video of her song "Tiger" in his room in Camberwell. The Branchage Film Festival, Jersey, recently commissioned Steer to compose a live soundtrack to a film of her choosing. Steer and her brother are working with PRS Women Make Music funding to create a psychedelic harp and stop-motion animation response to Kenneth Anger's Rabbit's Moon, called Postman's Familiar.
In 2015, she formed a new band, "Bas Jan".
- Cheap Demo Bad Science, 2007, Static Caravan
- Change is Good, Change is Good, 2010, Static Caravan
- The Moths Are Real, 2013, Stolen Recordings
- Japan Tour EP, 2006, Static Caravan
- Public Spirited, 2008, Static Caravan
- Bloody Hell, 2010, Stolen Recordings
- "Peach Heart" / "Mano E Mano", 2007, Static Caravan
- The Ground Bellow Me (Capitol K version of "Seven Bridge"), 2006 from Utrophia 03 Utrophia
- Cheap Demo Bad Science ("They Came From The Stars, I Saw Them" version) 2007, 93 Free CDs
- Uncomfortable (Capitol K version), 2007, Stolen Comp, Stolen Recordings
- Serafina Steer's Website.
- "The best sounds of 2010 – picked by the biggest artists", The Observer, Sunday, 28 November 2010.
- New Music Show 3 Program.