Serangoon Road (TV series)
|Created by||Paul D. Barron|
Peter Andrikidis |
|Theme music composer||
|Country of origin||
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
Batam, Indonesia (filming)
RED by HBO
|Original release||22 September 2013|
Serangoon Road is an Australian-Singaporean television drama series which premiered on 22 September 2013 on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and HBO Asia. It is a detective noir drama set in the 1960s, revolving around Serangoon Road in Singapore. The 10-part series is a collaboration between ABC and HBO Asia and was filmed largely on the island of Singapore. It was created by Paul D. Barron and directed by Peter Andrikidis and Tony Tilse.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2013)
The series is set in Singapore during the mid-1960s, a tumultuous time in the island's history. The country is at a crossroads as the nation is about to break away from Malaysia and gain independence. The British colonial rulers are gradually pulling out of the country, while racial and political tensions are running high and the ensuing riots are threatening national security. Communist insurgency movements are active in neighbouring countries and trying to push into Singapore.
The protagonist Sam Callaghan is an Australian living in Singapore. As a child, he was interned in Changi Prison by the occupying Japanese and later joined the military, serving in Malaya. He now runs an import/export business with his partner Kang. Sam agrees to help neighbour Patricia Cheng at her detective agency after her husband is killed while working on a case.
- Don Hany as Sam Callaghan
- Joan Chen as Patricia Cheng, runs the Cheng Detective Agency after the death of her husband.
- Michael Dorman as Conrad Harrison, young American CIA agent.
- Maeve Dermody as Claire Simpson, married to Frank, and having an affair with Sam.
- Rachael Blake as Lady Tuckworth
- Ario Bayu as Inspector Amran
- Tony Martin as Macca, Australian journalist.
- Nicholas Bell as Maxwell Black
- Jeremy Lindsay Taylor as Frank Simpson, expat businessman, Claire's husband.
- P.J. Lane
- Pamelyn Chee as Su Ling
- Chin Han as Kay Song
- Alaric Tay as Kang
- Cleave Williams as Nate Crosby
- Shane Briant as Major Miller
- Valentine Payen as Young Sam's Mother
- Edmund Chen as James Lim
- Russell Wong as Winston Cheng
- Christian Matthew Wong as XiaoQiang
The series aired in the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar, premiering on 25 March 2014 at 9:00 pm on GBC TV.
In Brazil, the series began airing on 30 June 2014 at 9:00 pm on Max Prime.
The series aired in France from 30 August 2014 at 10.45 pm on France O.
- TV series fostering cultural ties with Singapore and Indonesia
- "ABC drama co-production with HBO Asia". TV Tonight. 7 September 2012.
- "Airdate: Serangoon Road". TV Tonight. 30 August 2013.