Serena M. Auñón
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2009)|
|Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor|
April 9, 1976 |
|Selection||2009 NASA Group|
Auñón-Chancellor holds a B.S in Electrical Engineering from George Washington University, a Doctorate of Medicine from the University of Texas Health Sciences Center in Houston, Texas (2001), and a Master of Public Health degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in 2006.
Auñón-Chancellor was hired by NASA as a flight surgeon and spent over nine months in Russia supporting medical operations for International Space Station astronauts. She served as the deputy crew surgeon for STS-127 and Expedition 22. She also serves as the deputy lead for Orion – Medical Operations.
Auñón-Chancellor was selected as an astronaut candidate in June 2009. She completed the astronaut candidacy training program in 2011. In June 2012, Auñón piloted a DeepWorker 2000 submersible as part of the NASA/NOAA NEEMO 16 underwater exploration mission off Key Largo, Florida.
Auñón-Chancellor married to physicist, Jeff Chancellor and has a step daughter named Serafina Chancellor. They currently live in League City, Texas. Auñón's father is Dr. Jorge Auñón, a Cuban exile who arrived in the United States in 1960. Her mother is Ms. Margaret Auñón.
- NASA HQ (June 29, 2009). "NASA Selects New Astronauts for Future Space Exploration". NASA. Archived from the original on August 1, 2009. Retrieved June 29, 2009.
- NASA HQ (June 29, 2009). "Astronaut Candidates". NASA. Retrieved June 29, 2009.
- NASA (June 29, 2009). "In Their Own Words: Serena M. Aunon". NASA. Archived from the original on October 28, 2009. Retrieved June 29, 2009.
- Julian A. Ward Award
- Squyres, Steve (June 17, 2012). "NEEMO 16: EVA Divers and Subs". NASA. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Image of the Week: Aquanaut to astronaut". UK Space Agency. June 26, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "crew of NEEMO 20". 20 July 2015.
|This space- or spaceflight-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|