Serenade to a Soul Sister
|Serenade to a Soul Sister|
|Studio album by Horace Silver|
|Released||Early June 1968|
|Recorded||February 23 & March 29, 1968
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
|Horace Silver chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Serenade to a Soul Sister is an album by jazz pianist Horace Silver released on the Blue Note label in 1968, featuring performances by Silver with Charles Tolliver, Stanley Turrentine, Bennie Maupin, Bob Cranshaw, John Williams, Mickey Roker and Billy Cobham.
The AllMusic review by Steve Huey awarded the album 4½ stars and described it:
"One of the last great Horace Silver albums for Blue Note, Serenade to a Soul Sister is also one of the pianist's most infectiously cheerful, good-humored outings... You'd never know this album was recorded in one of the most tumultuous years in American history, but as Silver says in the liner notes' indirect jab at the avant-garde, he simply didn't believe in allowing "politics, hatred, or anger" into his music. Whether you agree with that philosophy or not, it's hard to argue with musical results as joyous and tightly performed as Serenade to a Soul Sister."
All compositions by Horace Silver
- "Psychedelic Sally" - 7:14
- "Serenade to a Soul Sister" - 6:19
- "Rain Dance" - 6:21
- "Jungle Juice" - 6:46
- "Kindred Spirits" - 5:55
- "Next Time I Fall in Love" - 5:19
- on tracks 1 - 3 (February 23, 1968)
- Horace Silver - piano
- Charles Tolliver - trumpet
- Stanley Turrentine - tenor saxophone
- Bob Cranshaw - bass, electric bass (on track 1)
- Mickey Roker - drums
- on tracks 4 - 6 (March 29, 1968)
- Horace Silver - piano
- Charles Tolliver - trumpet (exc. track 6)
- Bennie Maupin - tenor saxophone (exc. track 6)
- John Williams - bass
- Billy Cobham - drums
- Alfred Lion - production
- Rudy Van Gelder - engineering
- Reid Miles - design
- Billy Cobham (Cover), Francis Wolff (Interior) - photography
- Billboard June 1, 1968
- Huey, S.AllMusic Review accessed November 23, 2009.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 1299. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 181. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Horace Silver discography accessed November 23, 2009.