Location of Perry County, Missouri
|Elevation||620  ft (189 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|FIPS code||29-66746 |
|GNIS feature ID||726210 |
The early settlers of Sereno named the community Serena, meaning “a clean, respectable place”. However, when establishing a post office they discovered a place by that name already existed in Missouri, so the name was changed to Sereno.
In 1884 Thomas Moore gave a small track of his land along Chester Road to William Mattingly for the purpose of building a general store, which was soon followed by a grist mill. A post office operated from 1888-1905. The predominantly Catholic town established Our Lady of Victory Catholic parish in 1908.
- Placekeeper.com: Missouri http://www.placekeeper.com/Missouri/Sereno-726210.html
- Hometown Locator: Missouri http://www.roadsidethoughts.com/mo/sereno-misc.htm
- Roadsidethoughts.com: Missouri http://www.roadsidethoughts.com/mo/sereno-misc.htm
- State Historical Society of Missouri http://shs.umsystem.edu/manuscripts/ramsay/ramsay_perry.html
- State Historical Society of Missouri: Perry County Place Names http://shs.umsystem.edu/manuscripts/ramsay/ramsay_perry.html
- Missouri Postal History http://www.missouripostalhistory.org/pe157pe.htm
- Archdiocese of St. Louis http://www.parishesonline.com/scripts/HostedSites/org.asp?p=1&ID=8624