|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (August 2017)|
Serge Dumont at the World Economic Forum in 2011
|Born||February , 1960|
|Occupation||Vice Chairman and Chairman Asia-Pacific at Omnicom group|
Serge Dumont (born February 1960), is a French businessman and one of the pioneers in China’s corporate and marketing communications industry. He currently serves as Omnicom Group Vice Chairman and Chairman, Asia Pacific, and runs Omnicom's Greater China business unit.
Career and early life
A French citizen born in Tunisia, Dumont graduated from the Sorbonne University in Paris. He holds dual degrees in sociology and oriental languages and civilizations, and has studied at the Taiwan Normal University and the Political Institute in Taipei.
In 1985 he moved to Beijing and established China’s first joint venture communications and government relations consultancy, Interasia. The company acquired a roster of Fortune 500 clients and became a market leader. In 1993 Dumont sold Interasia to the world's largest PR group, Edelman. He was appointed Executive Vice President of the Edelman Group, President of Asia and sat on the Global Board.
From 1998 to 2006, Dumont concentrated on PE activities, as well as strategic advisory and philanthropic work. In 2006 he joined Omnicom Group and in 2011 was appointed to his current position of Vice Chairman of the Omnicom Group and Chairman Asia Pacific. One of his key responsibilities is directly managing the fast-growing Greater China business unit by developing business strategies for all Omnicom activities and building relationships that expand Omnicom’s operational footprint globally. He reports to John Wren, the President and CEO of Omnicom Group.
Advisory work and philanthropic activities
Dumont has been involved in philanthropic and government advisory work in the areas of education and public health. In 2006 he was named a Special Representative  for UNAIDS, the joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS. He led a team of experts who advised the Beijing Municipal Government and the World Health Organization during the SARS crisis of 2003.
In 2004, with the Tsinghua University School of Journalism and Communications, he founded the first scholarship fund aimed at developing qualified professionals for the marketing communications industry. He has also set up partnership programs with Fudan University and the China European International Business School (CEIBS).
Since 2003, he has served as Conseiller du Commerce Extérieur de la France (France’s Foreign Trade Advisor).
He currently sits on several boards including the Advisory Board of the Tsinghua University School of Journalism and Communications, the Corporate Advisory Board of CEIBS, and the board of the China Youth Development Foundation.
Honors and awards
His contribution to society has been recognised through honors and awards from a number of national governments and international organizations. In 2008 he received a Gold Medal from UNAIDS for "outstanding contributions to the AIDS response". In 2011 he received the Holmes Report’s Asia-Pacific Lifetime Achievement Sabre Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement. In 2014 he was honored by the China Advertising Association for Outstanding contribution to the advertising Industry. In 2015, Serge Dumont was named by Debrett's among the top 100 most influential people in Hong Kong. In 2016, on the occasion of the APAC Cristal Awards, an Outstanding Merit Award was given to Serge Dumont.
Other honors and awards include the following:
- Italy: Grand Officer, Stella della Solidarieta Italiana (Grand Officer of the Star of Italian Solidarity).
- Morocco: Officer of the Ouissam Alaouite (Royal Order of Al-Alaoui, Kingdom of Morocco)
- Belgium: Officer of the Order of the Crown of Belgium
- 'The Father of PR in China - one PRO's pioneering tale' PR Week - February 15, 2002, p. 16
- Alain Peyrefitte. La Chine s’est éveillée. ISBN 978-2213599571 Fayard, 1996, pp. 285-286.
- Omnicom Group Forms Greater China Business Unit PR Newswire - June 17, 2011
- Guo, Huimin (18 November 2011). "New challenges of 'glocalization'" China Daily. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- 'Schmoozing into China' The Economist Intelligence Unit Business China - July 8, 2002
- Franz Wisner. Edelman and the Rise of Public Relations. ISBN 978-0-9787522-0-0 Eight Communications, 2012, p. 75.
- Peter Piot. "No Time to Lose: A Life in Pursuit of Deadly Viruses". ISBN 978-0393063165 - WW Norton & Company, 2012, pages 352, 359
- "Omnicom Senior Executive Serge Dumont appointed UNAIDS Special Representative" UNAIDS Press Release. 6 September 2006. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Kerstin Leitner, When only the sky is the limit. ISBN 978-1291613926 lulu.com, 2013, pp. 252-253.
- "Scholarships for future journalists" China Daily. Page 8, 27 May 2008.
- "Board of Advisors" Tsinghua University School of Journalism and Communication Website. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "UNAIDS recognizes leaders in China’s AIDS response" UNAIDS Feature Story. 17 September 2008. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Serge Dumont to Receive Lifetime Achievement SABRE In Singapore" Holmes Report 16 October 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Hong Kong 100, People of Influence - Media - Advertising, Marketing, PR and Broadcasting" Debrett's 9 November 2015. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "APAC Cristal Awards - Merit Award" APAC Cristal Awards 24 March 2016. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- Palazzo Chigi: Il Presidente del Consiglio, Romano Prodi, ha conferito l'onorificenza "Stella della solidarietà" a Serge Dumont Governo Italiano - August 29, 2006