Lemoyne had a collaborative approach to making art, seeking active engagement between artwork, audience and the artist. He helped found L’Horloge du Nouvel-Age in 1964 with Claude Péloquin, Yves Hébert and Jean Gauguet-Larouche and a year later, Le Zirmate. Both groups held events combining music, poetry, dance and visual effects to create happenings.
Popular culture was a significant subject of his work—he devoted ten years to exploring hockey. bleu, blanc, rouge is a tribute to the Montreal Canadiens whose uniforms are these colors. Blue, white and red are also the colours found in the flags of France and the United Kingdom—the two language heritages that both unite and divide Canada. Perhaps Lemoyne's best-known work is Dryden, an understated portrait of the goalie mask belonging to Montreal Canadiens star goaltender Ken Dryden.
In 2008—ten years after the artist's death, the Musée des beaux-arts de Sherbrooke (Sherbrooke) organized Salut Lemoyne! an exhibition of work by Lemoyne together with the works of other Quebec artists with whom he was associated, including Armand Vaillancourt, Pierre Gauvreau, Janine Carreau, Hélène Goulet, Reynald Connolly, Cozic, François Gauthier, Gilles Boisvert, and Serge Tousignant.
Art contemporain en fin de siècle (1994), produced by Jacques Larré, profiled Lemoyne, as well as the photographer Geneviève Cadieux and the artist and architect Melvin Chaney. Lemoyne : documentaire sur la vie et l'oeuvre du peintre Serge Lemoyne (2005) examines Lemoyne's approach to creating art through personal videos, television archives and interviews with his peers, Claude Péloquin, Marcel Saint-Pierre and Claude Jasmin.
- "Serge Lemoyne: biography". Itinerary in contemporary art. Musée d’art de Joliette. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- JSTOR page
- "Collections: Lemoyne, Serge". Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Johnson, Carl (2001). Greg Curnoe, Serge Lemoyne : deux nationalismes?. Rimouski, Quebec: Musée régional de Rimouski. ISBN 9782920367579.
- "Two new exhibitions at Musée des beaux-arts de Sherbrooke". Tourism Eastern Townships. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Art contemporain en fin de siècle". World Cat. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Beaulieu, Simon (2005). "Lemoyne : documentaire sur la vie et l'oeuvre du peintre Serge Lemoyne" (DVD Video) (in French and English). Montreal: Le Collectif Oblique. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Art Videos : Lemoyne". Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Montreal Museum of Fine Arts Commemorative Envelope". Canada Post. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Serge Lemoyne". National Gallery of Canada. Retrieved 13 October 2013.