Sergeant Preston of the Yukon (TV series)
|Sergeant Preston of the Yukon|
Richard Simmons as Sergeant Preston with Yukon King, 1955
|Created by||George W. Trendle|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||78|
|Executive producer(s)||Charles E. Skinner|
|Running time||22–24 minute|
|Production company(s)||Charles E. Skinner Productions|
|Distributor||Independent Television Corporation|
|Original release||September 29, 1955 –|
September 25, 1958
Richard Simmons starred as Sgt. Preston, and was supported by his dog Yukon King and horse Rex, now played by real animals. The dog cast as King was not a husky, however, but a large Alaskan Malamute. Charles Livingstone, who had worked on the radio version, directed several episodes. Though no plotlines seem to have been re-used from the radio show, they were generally built upon the same themes.
Mainly filmed at Ashcroft, Colorado, the series was telecast on CBS from September 29, 1955, to September 25, 1958. Trendle-Campbell-Meurer produced the first two seasons, and the show aired in the same time slot as ABC's The Lone Ranger. In its last season, the Jack Wrather Corporation purchased the rights and produced Sergeant Preston of the Yukon.
Comic book adaptation
In 1955, the Quaker Oats company gave away land in the Klondike as part of the Klondike Big Inch Land Promotion which was tied in with the television show. Genuine deeds each to one square inch of a lot in Yukon Territory, issued by Klondike Big Inch Land Co. Inc., were inserted into Quaker's Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice cereal boxes.
In May 2016, the series resurfaced on U.S. TV, airing weekday mornings on the action/adventure/western oriented GRIT classic TV/movie network.
The series currently airs on FETV (Family Entertainment TV) and is available on both Dish & DirecTV.
The guest stars on Sergeant Preston included:
- Francis De Sales appeared in five episodes, concluding as Cy Bartok in "The Diamond Collar".
- Kelo Henderson, a future Golden Boot winner who appeared as Pete Hollis in the 1958 episode "Escape to the North".
- Ed Hinton appeared twice in 1956 as Barry Jeffers in "Remember the Maine" and as Lefty "Red" Burke in "The Rookie".
- I. Stanford Jolley guest starred as Sam Haley in "The Fancy Dan" (1956) and as Frisco in "Gold Rush Patrol" (1958)
- Tyler MacDuff appeared as Bill Corey in "Lost River Roundup" in 1957
- John M. Pickard appeared four times in 1956-1957 in different roles, including the role of Red Brody in "Old Ben's Gold".
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2018)
- "Don Sherwood". lambiek.net.
- Juliano, Frank (October 3, 2010). "Oatmeal lots gave officials indigestion". Connecticut Post. Retrieved March 28, 2018.
- "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon: Sergeant Preston, N/a: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-04-22.
- "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon: Complete Season 1 : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video". Dvdtalk.com. Retrieved 2014-04-22.
- "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon: Complete Season 2 : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video". Dvdtalk.com. Retrieved 2014-04-22.