Matosyan participated in the 1992-1993 war with Georgia, holding the rank of colonel and heading three battalions. In 1994, Matosyan headed the Bagramyan Battalion during the Lata operation in the Kodori Valley. He was the only Armenian of the war to command Abkhaz troops. For his achievements, Matosyan was awarded the title Hero of Abkhazia. After the war, Matosyan became head of the republican border guard.
On 14 December 2004, while Vladislav Ardzinba was still President, he issued a decree creating a Ministerial portfolio for Emergency Situations, and appointing Matosyan to this new post. 12 days after Sergei Bagapsh was sworn in as President on 12 February 2005, he repealed Ardzinba's decree and Matosyan did not return in the new cabinet.
Matosyan was again elected to the People's Assembly in the 4 March 2007 election, winning a first round victory in the Pshap constituency no. 22. Matosyan was subsequently nominated by Adgur Kharazia for the post of third Deputy Speaker, but lost out to Albert Ovsepyan. On 24 September 2010, Matosyan was nevertheless elected Deputy Speaker (with 22 votes out of 24 cast in favour), after Albert Ovsepyan had retired on 3 May on account of old age.
- "Спартак Жидков: Армянский батальон в грузино-абхазской войне" (in Russian). Regnum. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- В Абхазии утверждена структура Кабинета министров. Caucasian Knot (in Russian). 15 December 2005. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Депутаты парламента избрали на должность вице-спикера парламента Героя Абхазии - Сергея Матосян. Apsnypress (in Russian). 24 September 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Интервью с кандидатом в президенты Сергеем Шамба: "...Мы не собираемся ни к кому присоединяться". Caucasian Knot (in Russian). 27 September 2004. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- В Абхазии назначены два вице-премьера правительства. Caucasian Knot (in Russian). 14 December 2004. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Sergei Bagapsh (24 February 2005). "Указ Президента Абхазии №10 от 24.02.2005". Администрация Президента Республики Абхазия. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Второй тур выборов в Абхазии пройдет 18 марта. Caucasian Knot (in Russian). 6 March 2007. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Спикером парламента Абхазии вновь избран Нугзар Ашуба. Caucasian Knot (in Russian). 3 April 2007. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Выпуск №245-246. Apsnypress (in Russian). 3 May 2010. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- "В Абхазии создана организация ветеранов грузино-абхазской войны". Caucasian Knot. 11 May 2007. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
|This Abkhazian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|