|Full name||Sergiño Gianni Dest|
|Date of birth||November 3, 2000|
|Place of birth||Almere, Netherlands|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|2016–2017||United States U17||5||(0)|
|2018–2019||United States U20||10||(0)|
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of April 24, 2022|
‡ National team caps and goals, correct as of January 30, 2022
Sergiño Gianni Dest (born November 3, 2000) is a professional soccer player who plays as a full-back for La Liga club Barcelona and the United States national team. Born in the Netherlands to a Dutch mother and Surinamese-American father, Dest has represented the United States internationally at senior level since 2019.
Dest was born in the Netherlands to a Surinamese-American father and a Dutch mother. Dest played for the youth academy of Almere City until 2012, when he moved to the Ajax youth academy. Initially a forward, he progressed through the ranks of the club until making the switch to a full-back.
Dest debuted for Jong Ajax on October 15, 2018, in a 2–1 loss against Jong PSV. Dest impressed over the course of the 2018–19 season, making 18 appearances in the Dutch Eerste Divisie and tallying one goal and two assists. He also scored one goal and provided one assist in seven appearances in the prestigious UEFA Youth League.
On July 27, 2019, Dest made his debut for the Ajax first team in an official game, when he started the 2019 Johan Cruyff Shield match, against rivals PSV Eindhoven. Ajax won the match, 2–0, and in consequence, the title. On August 10, 2019, Dest debuted in the Eredivisie, replacing Noussair Mazraoui in the 54th minute of the Ajax 5–0 home win against FC Emmen. He also appeared as a substitute in qualifying matches for the UEFA Champions League against PAOK and APOEL. In September, Dest was officially promoted to the Ajax first-team squad. On September 17, 2019, he made his first start in the Champions League against Lille OSC; a match which Ajax won 3–0. Dest finished his first senior season with 35 appearances in which he scored two goals—both in the KNVB Cup fixture against Telstar.
On October 1, 2020, Dest transferred to Barcelona for an initial €21 million fee plus a further €5 million in variables. He signed a five-year contract with the club with a buyout clause set at €400 million. Dest made his debut for Barcelona on October 4, coming on as a 75th minute substitute for Jordi Alba in a 1–1 draw against Sevilla. With the appearance, Dest became the first American to appear for Barcelona in La Liga. On October 20, he became the first American to play for Barcelona in a UEFA Champions League match. Later that month, Dest set another milestone, becoming the first American to play in El Clásico; Barcelona fell to a 1–3 defeat to rivals Real Madrid but Dest's performance in the match was praised. On November 24, 2020, Dest scored his first goal for Barcelona in a 4–0 away win over Dynamo Kyiv in the Champions League group stage. In doing so, Dest became the first American to score a professional goal for the club. On March 21, 2021, he scored a brace in a 6–1 away win over Real Sociedad.
Dest has represented the United States at youth and full international level. He represented the United States under-17s at the 2017 FIFA Under-17 World Cup, and the United States under-20s at the 2019 FIFA Under-20 World Cup, where he played four matches.
Dest made his senior debut for the United States on September 6, 2019, starting and playing 68 minutes in a 3–0 friendly loss against Mexico. Dest chose to commit his international future to the United States at the senior level on October 28, 2019.
Style of play
Dest combines many key qualities needed in a full-back, including strong attacking prowess, solid defensive play, and being excellent in possession. He has the ability to take players on and his pace is a virtue going forward and defending.
- As of match played April 24, 2022
|Jong Ajax||2018–19||Eerste Divisie||17||1||—||—||—||17||1|
- As of match played January 30, 2022
- Scores and results list United States' goal tally first, score column indicates score after each Dest goal.
|1||March 25, 2021||Stadion Wiener Neustadt, Wiener Neustadt, Austria||6||Jamaica||1–0||4–1||Friendly|
|2||October 13, 2021||Lower.com Field, Columbus, United States||15||Costa Rica||1–1||2–1||2022 FIFA World Cup qualification|
United States U20
- 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship Best XI
- U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of the Year: 2019
- Ajax Talent of the Year (Marco van Basten Award): 2020
- IFFHS Men's World Youth (U20) Team: 2020
- "Acta del Partido celebrado el 21 de noviembre de 2020, en Madrid" [Minutes of the Match held on 21 November 2020, in Madrid] (in Spanish). Royal Spanish Football Federation. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Sergiño Dest". US Soccer. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "Sergiño Dest". FC Barcelona. Archived from the original on October 7, 2020. Retrieved March 3, 2021.
- "Agreement with Ajax for transfer of Sergiño Dest". fcbarcelona.com. FC Barcelona. October 1, 2020. Archived from the original on October 1, 2020. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- "18-Year-Old American Sergiño Dest Goes Full 90 In Ajax Senior Debut". The 18. July 28, 2019. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "Ajax vs. PSV 2 - 0". Soccerway.com. Retrieved July 28, 2019.
- "Ajax 5 - 0 Emmen". Soccerway.com. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- "Ajax – LOSC 2020 History". UEFA. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- "Sergiño Dest". Soccerway. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "Watch: USMNT's Sergiño Dest Scores Two Goals for Ajax". Sports Illustrated. December 18, 2019. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Marsden, Sam (October 4, 2020). "Barcelona debutant Sergino Dest happy to play on left or right for Koeman". ESPN. Retrieved October 5, 2020.
- "Sergiño Dest Makes Debut for Barcelona as First American Player". Sports Illustrated. October 4, 2020. Retrieved October 5, 2020.
- "Barcelona vs. Ferencvaros on CBS All Access: Live stream UEFA Champions League, how to watch on TV, info". CBSSports.com. October 20, 2020.
- "Sergino Dest impressive in historic El Clasico appearance". SBI Soccer. October 24, 2020. Retrieved October 26, 2020.
- "Dynamo Kyiv 0-4 Barcelona". BBC Sport. November 24, 2020. Retrieved November 24, 2020.
- "Sergiño Dest Scores in Champions League for Barcelona; Konrad Makes Club Debut". Sports Illustrated. November 24, 2020. Retrieved November 24, 2020.
- "USMNT's Sergiño Dest Scores Two Goals for Barcelona vs. Real Sociedad". Sports Illustrated. March 21, 2021.
- "United States U20 Scoring Squad". ESPN.
- "ASN: Sergino Dest, 16, Is Opening Eyes at the U-17 World Cup". americansoccernow.com.
- "Dest debuts against Mexico as US makes 6 changes". sports.yahoo.com.
- "Sergino Dest chooses United States over Netherlands | MLSSoccer.com". mlssoccer.
- Sergiño Dest at National-Football-Teams.com
- Lowe, Sid (April 17, 2021). "Messi stars as Barcelona thrash Athletic Bilbao to lift Copa del Rey". The Guardian. Retrieved April 19, 2021.
- "TSG announces the 2018 CU20 Best XI". CONCACAF.com. November 21, 2018.
- "Christian Pulisic, Ethan Horvath lead U.S. over Mexico in Nations League final". ESPN. June 6, 2021. Retrieved June 6, 2021.
- "TSG announces the 2018 CU20 individual awards". CONCACAF. November 21, 2018.
- "Sergiño Dest, Brianna Pinto and Nick Mayhugh Win 2019 U.S. Soccer Player of the Year Honors for Young Male, Young Female and Player With a Disability". USSF. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "Ajax roept Ziyech uit tot Speler van het Jaar; Dest talent van het jaar". Ajaxfanatics.nl. May 15, 2020.
- "IFFHS". www.iffhs.com.