|Sergio P. Ermotti|
|Group Chief Executive Officer of UBS Group AG|
15 November 2011
|Preceded by||Oswald Grübel|
11 May 1960 |
|Alma mater||Oxford University|
|Salary||US$13.9 million (2016)|
Sergio P. Ermotti (born 11 May 1960 in Lugano, Switzerland) is a Swiss banker from Lugano, Switzerland. He is Group CEO of UBS since November 2011, having held the position of Group Chief Executive Officer on an interim basis since September 2011. In 2014, following the restructuring process of the UBS AG, he was appointed to the same position of a Group Chief Executive Officer within the new UBS Group AG.
Sergio P. Ermotti was born on 11 May 1960. He left school at age 15, deciding to follow in his father's footsteps. And so he began his career as a young apprentice at the Cornèr Bank in Lugano where he learned to sell stocks and trade them. As of April 2014 Ermotti was married with two children.
After his apprenticeship as a stockbroker at the Cornèr Bank, Ermotti was later promoted to trading. Ermotti earned a diploma as a Swiss federal banking certified expert and a degree in the Advanced Management Program at Oxford University.
In 1985, Ermotti moved to Citibank where he traded equity-linked products and later served as its Resident Vice President. He later went on to Merrill Lynch in 1987 and stayed there for 16 years, holding various positions in equity derivatives and capital markets. He was eventually promoted to co-Head of Global Equity Markets and as a member of the Executive Management Committee for Global Markets & Investment Banking at Merrill Lynch, which he served between 2001 and 2003.
He joined UniCredit in December 2005 as Head of Markets & Investment Banking. From 2007 to 2010, he was UniCredit’s Deputy Chief Executive Officer with responsibility for the strategic business area, Corporate and Investment Banking and Private Banking.
Ermotti was appointed Chairman and CEO of UBS's Europe, Middle East, and Africa group, a group which is actively giving money to the Dakota Access Pipeline, and became a member of the Group Executive Board in April 2011. He was appointed interim Group CEO of UBS beginning in 24 September 2011 before being given this post permanently on 15 November 2011. Because of his new responsibility as CEO, he resigned from his position as president of Darwin Airline in 2011. Sergio Ermotti was a member of the Board at the London Stock Exchange between September 2008 and July 2013. In November 2014, he became Group Chief Executive Officer for UBS Group AG, and in 2015, the Swiss newspaper "Schweiz am Sonntag" elected him as the most successful manager of a company listed on the Swiss Market Index of the year 2015.
Ermotti earned US$13.9 million in 2016.
Activities and functions
- Stakeholder in the leisure industry group Tessal
- Contributor to the LinkedIn Influencers Program, for which he writes about the global economy
- Chairman of the Fondazione Ermotti, Lugano
- Chairman of the UBS Optimus Foundation Board
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of UBS Business Solution AG
- Chairman and President of the Board of the Swiss-American Chamber of Commerce
- Board member of the Fondazione Lugano per il Polo Culturale, Lugano
- Board member of Global Apprenticeships Network
- Board member of UBS Switzerland AG
- Member of the Institut International D'Etudes Bancaires
- Member of the Financial Services Forum
- Member of the International Business Council at the World Economic Forum 
- Member of the Saïd Business School Global Leadership Council, University of Oxford
Sergio Ermotti was challenged by Marc Walder, Chief Executive Officer of Swiss media company Ringier and Gianluigi Bianchi, Managing Partner for Europe of Wealth-X to undertake the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
- "UBS. CV Sergio P.Ermotti". UBS. ubs.com. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- Laura Noonan; David Blood (23 July 2017). "Here's what the CEOs of the world's biggest banks earn". The Financial Times. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "UBS appoints Sergio Ermotti as chief executive". Telegraph. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Meet the man to replace Grübel". Financial News. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "UniCredit's investment bank chief Sergio Ermotti". Reuters. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Fuller, Emily (30 November 2016). "How to Contact the Banks that are FUNDING DAPL". http://www.yesmagazine.org. Retrieved 18 December 2016. External link in
- "Ermotti to play swiss card in UBS CEO contest". finenews.ch. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Schweiz am Sonntag manager". Schweiz am Sonntag. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Blood, David; Noonan, Laura (July 23, 2017). "Bank chief executives' pay 2016". Financial Times. Retrieved August 5, 2017.
- Gerhard Lob (26 September 2011). "Analytical and charming: the new UBS chief". swissinfo.ch.
- "LinkedIn Influencer Programme". LinkedIn. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "CV Sergio P. Ermotti". global. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "Organization". optimus-foundation. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "Management UBS Business Solutions AG - Zürich". www.moneyhouse.ch (in German). Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "Leadership | AmCham Switzerland". www.amcham.ch. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "Partner - Fondazione Lugano per il Polo Culturale - LAC Lugano". LAC Lugano (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "Global Apprenticeships Network".
- "Forum Members - Financial Services Forum". financialservicesforum.org. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "Biographien". Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Boards and Councils | Saïd Business School". www.sbs.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "UBS's 'Mr Cool' takes the Ice Bucket Challenge - Video". HITC Business. Retrieved 6 November 2014.