Llull in a game with Real Madrid
|No. 23 – Real Madrid|
|Position||Point guard / Shooting guard|
November 15, 1987|
Mahón, Balearic Islands, Spain
|Listed height||6 ft 3.75 in (1.92 m)|
|Listed weight||210 lb (95 kg)|
|NBA draft||2009 / Round: 2 / Pick: 34th overall|
|Selected by the Denver Nuggets|
|Career highlights and awards|
Sergio Llull Melià (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈseɾxjo ˈʎuʎ]; born November 15, 1987) is a Spanish professional basketball player for Real Madrid of the Liga ACB. He is a 6 ft 3 3⁄4 in (1.92 m) tall point guard-shooting guard.
Llull is a two−time All-EuroLeague Team selection, and was the EuroLeague MVP of the 2016–17 season. As a regular member of the senior Spanish national team, he won three EuroBasket gold medals, as well as a bronze. He also won two Summer Olympics medals, a silver in 2012, and a bronze in 2016.
Early in his career, Llull was known for his straight line speed, jumping ability, and open court fast break dunks. Later in his career, he has been known for his long-distance 3 point shooting, and clutch shots. Llull averaged a PIR of 16.8 in the EuroLeague, during the 2016–17 season.
He can play at either the point guard or shooting guard position. He spent the early part of his club EuroLeague career playing as a shooting guard, and then switched to the point guard position later in his club career. In the senior men's Spanish national team, he has mainly played at the shooting guard position.
Llull began his career playing for the La Salle Maò and CB i Unió Manresana junior clubs as a youth. He made his professional debut with the Spanish ACB League club Manresa during the 2005–06 season. He also played with the Spanish 4th Division club Finques Olesa that season, on loan. He returned to Manresa, and played in the Spanish 2nd Division in the next season.
Llull joined the Spanish EuroLeague club Real Madrid in 2007. In 2009, Real Madrid exercised a club option to extend his contract for another 2 years. In 2010, Llull extended his contract with Real Madrid through the year 2014.
He was named the MVP of the final of the mid-season three game 2012 Spanish King's Cup tournament. In 2012, Llull extended his contract with Real Madrid once again, this time through the 2017–18 season. His contract included a buyout clause in the amount of €5 million euros.
In the 2014–15 season, Real Madrid won the EuroLeague championship, after defeating Olympiacos by a score of 78–59 in the 2015 EuroLeague Final. Real Madrid eventually finished the season by also winning the Spanish League championship, after a 3–0 series sweep in the Spanish League Finals series against Barcelona. By winning the Spanish League championship, Real Madrid won the triple crown. Llull was named the Spanish League Finals MVP of 2015.
In the summer of 2015, Llull once again extended his contract with Real Madrid, this time through the 2020–21 season. The 6-year contract extension was at a per season salary of €2.7 million euros net income per season, and his contract included a record buyout option amount, in the amount of €25 million euros (USD$26.3 million as of March 2, 2017 exchange rate), the highest buyout amount ever in European club basketball history.
In May 2018, Real Madrid won the 2017–18 EuroLeague, after defeating Fenerbahçe Doğuş in the final game 85–80. Llull missed most of the season due to injury, only to come back into the rotation at the Final Four, helping his team to grab their second EuroLeague title in four seasons.
Llull was chosen by the Denver Nuggets, with the 34th pick in the 2009 NBA draft. The Houston Rockets then bought his draft rights from the Nuggets, for approximately $2.25 million, which at the time made him the most expensive player ever to be purchased during the draft's second round.
Spanish national team
As a member of the junior Spanish national basketball teams, Llull won the gold medal at the 2004 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship, and he won the silver medal at the 2007 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship. He has also played with the senior men's Spanish national basketball team.
Llull won three gold medals at the EuroBasket, in 2009, 2011, and 2015. He also won the silver medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics, the bronze medal at the EuroBasket 2013, and the bronze medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics. He also played at the 2010 FIBA World Championship and at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The EuroLeague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season. He also played in domestic competition, and regional competition if applicable.
|†||Denotes seasons in which Llull won the EuroLeague|
Awards and accomplishments
- Liga ACB (Spanish League) champion (5x):
- Copa del Rey (Spanish Cup) winner (5x):
- Supercopa de España (Spanish Supercup) winner (3x):
- EuroLeague champion (2x):
- FIBA Intercontinental Cup champion:
Spanish national team
- 2004 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship: Gold
- 2007 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: Silver
- EuroBasket 2009: Gold
- EuroBasket 2011: Gold
- 2012 Summer Olympics: Silver
- EuroBasket 2013: Bronze
- EuroBasket 2015: Gold
- 2016 Summer Olympics: Bronze
- 2x All-EuroLeague Team:
- Spanish League MVP: 2017
- 2x Spanish King's Cup MVP: 2012, 2017
- 3x All-Spanish ACB League Team: 2012, 2015, 2017
- Spanish Supercup MVP: 2014
- 2x Spanish ACB League Finals MVP: 2015, 2016
- FIBA Intercontinental Cup MVP: 2015
- 2x Spanish ACB League MVP of the Month: February 2012, February 2016
- 2x EuroLeague MVP of the Month: April 2013, November 2016
- EuroLeague MVP: 2017
- "Liga ACB Pronunciation Guide". ACB.com. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- SERGIO LLULL Height 1.92m.
- "REAL MADRID, Llull agree until 2014". Euroleague.net. July 19, 2010. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Sergio Llull signs contract extension through 2014". Realmadrid.com. July 19, 2010. Archived from the original on October 4, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Euroleague.net REAL MADRID extends Llull through 2018.
- Sportando.net Real Madrid extends Sergio Llull till 2018.
- Llull’s NBA buy out at 12 million euros according to “Marca”.
- "Real Madrid is Euroleague champion for record ninth time!". euroleague.net. 17 May 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Real Madrid make it 4 out of 4". marca.com (in Spanish). 24 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Real Madrid re-signs star guard Llull until 2021.
- Por qué Sergio Llull no se marchará a la NBA (in Spanish).
- Madrid's Llull is crowned the 2016-17 Turkish Airlines EuroLeague MVP!
- "Real Madrid is 2018 EuroLeague champion". euroleague.net. 20 May 2018. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Sergio Llull es la segunda ronda más cara de la historia del 'draft' de la NBA }" (in Spanish). Marca.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.