Ginés Jesús Hernández
|Ginés Jesús Hernández|
|Pope Gregory XVIII|
|Church||Palmarian Catholic Church|
|See||El Palmar de Troya|
|Papacy began||15 July 2011|
|Papacy ended||22 April 2016|
|Predecessor||Peter II (Palmarian claimant)|
|Successor||Peter III (Palmarian claimant)|
|Opposed to||Benedict XVI
|Born||1 July 1959|
Sergio María Ginés Jesús Hernández y Martínez (born 1 July 1959), known by his religious name as Sergio María and by his papal name as Gregory XVIII, is the former Palmarian Catholic Church pope. Hernández was in office from 2011 until his 2016 resignation.[a] Hernández fell in love, lost his faith, resigned, and left the church.
Between 2005 and 2011, Hernández served as church secretary of state under pope Manuel Corral (Peter II). After Corral's death, Hernández succeeded Corral, on 16 July 2011, as pope at El Palmar de Troya and adopted the papal name Gregory XVIII. Hernández nominated his successor Joseph Odermatt from Switzerland.
According to Professor Magnus Lundberg, of the University of Uppsala, Hernández resigned from papacy on 22 April 2016 and was succeeded on 23 April 2016 by Odermatt who took Peter III as his papal name.
- It is difficult to obtain reliable and verified information about the Palmarian sect, according to religious studies scholar Jean-François Mayer, since the sect neither announces news nor has an online presence. Little is known about what happens inside the sect compound, according to ABC newspaper journalist Alberto Flores, who described the usual behavior of the sect as "habitual secrecy" (habitual ocultismo).
- Flores, Alberto (25 April 2016). "El 'papa' de El Palmar de Troya pierde su fe y deja su 'orden' sin despedirse de sus seguidores" [The 'pope' of El Palmar de Troya loses his faith and leaves his 'order' without saying goodbye to his followers]. sevilla.abc.es (in Spanish). Seville, ES: Diario ABC. Archived from the original on 28 April 2016. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Lundberg, Magnus (2016-05-01) [first posted 2016-04-22]. "The Palmarian Pope has resigned and is succeeded by Peter III". magnuslundberg.net (blog). Uppsala, Sweden: Magnus Lundberg. Archived from the original on 2016-05-03. Retrieved 2016-05-03. (Content has been added since the first posted date)
- Macías, Javier (26 April 2016). "Los cuatro 'papas' del Palmar de Troya" [The four 'popes' of Palmar de Troya]. sevilla.abc.es (in Spanish). Seville, ES: Diario ABC. Archived from the original on 28 April 2016. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Macías, Javier (27 April 2016). "El 'papa' del Palmar niega haber robado el 'papamóvil': 'Es mio, estaba a mi nombre' " [The 'pope' of Palmar denies having stolen the 'popemobile': 'It's mine, it was in my name' ]. sevilla.abc.es (in Spanish). Seville, ES: Diario ABC. Archived from the original on 3 May 2016. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- Mayer, Jean-François (2016-04-27). "Église palmarienne: Grégoire XVIII perd la foi et va se marier, le nouveau pape Pierre III est un Suisse" [Palmarienne Church: Gregory XVIII loses faith and will marry, the new Pope Peter III is Swiss]. orbis.info (blog) (in French). Jean-François Mayer. Archived from the original on 2016-04-27. Retrieved 2016-05-03.