23 September 2005 – 3 July 2012
by President Ciampi
8 September 1926|
|Died||3 July 2012
|Children||Andrea Pininfarina, president of Pininfarina 2001-2008
Paolo Pininfarina, president of Pininfarina 2008-present
|Alma mater||Polytechnic University of Turin|
Pininfarina was born in Turin. After joining his father Battista Farina at Carrozzeria Pininfarina, he quickly became integral to the company, and during his career oversaw many of the designs (particularly Ferraris) for which the company is famous. In 1961, by decree of the Italian president, his family surname was changed from Farina to Pininfarina to match that of the company.
In 1965 it was Sergio Pininfarina who personally persuaded Enzo Ferrari to adopt a "mid-engined" engine configuration for a new line of road cars, with the engine positioned behind the driver, but ahead of the rear wheels. The resulting Ferrari Dino Berlinette Speciale was presented at the Paris Motor Show in October, although it would be another two years before the cars were offered for sale.
After his father's death in 1966, Pininfarina became chairman of the company.
In 2006 Sergio and his son Andrea, who died in 2008, were named Honorary Chairmen of Pininfarina.
Senator for life
On 21 February 2007 he attended the vote in which the government motion on foreign policy was defeated in the Senate and subsequently led to the resignation of then Prime Minister Romano Prodi. Pininfarina, who attended his first Senate assembly in nine months, cast an "abstain" vote, which helped the opposition forces to defeat the government foreign policy. After the aforementioned tally Pininfarina did not ever vote in the assembly again.
Pininfarina died in Turin on 3 July 2012 aged 85.
- Page at Senate Web site (in Italian).
- "Former Ferrari car designer Pininfarina dies". 3 July 2012.
- "Nachruf: Sergio Pininfarina: "Sein Peugeot 504 Cabrio - bis heute der schönste Peugeot."". Auto Motor u. Sport. 16 2012: Seite 34. 12 June 2012.
- "I voti che hanno affondato il governo - Corriere della Sera" (in Italian). Corriere.it. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Ferrari designer Pininfarina dies - Australian Broadcasting Corporation - Retrieved 4 July 2012.