Sergio Sánchez Ortega
Sánchez playing with Panathinaikos in 2015
|Full name||Sergio Sánchez Ortega|
|Date of birth||3 April 1986|
|Place of birth||Mataró, Spain|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Center Back , Right Back|
|2007||→ Real Madrid B (loan)||20||(0)|
|2007–2008||→ Racing Santander (loan)||19||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 June 2015.
Sergio Sánchez Ortega (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈseɾxjo ˈsantʃeθ]; born 3 April 1986) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Greek club Panathinaikos F.C. as either a right back or a central defender.
He amassed La Liga totals of 166 games and three goals over the course of 11 seasons, representing in the competition Espanyol, Racing de Santander, Sevilla and Málaga. He won one Copa del Rey with the third club.
Born in Mataró, Barcelona, Catalonia, Sánchez was a product of RCD Espanyol's youth system. He made his debut for the first team on 24 April 2005, playing 85 minutes from the bench in a 3–1 home win against Real Zaragoza. It was his sole appearance of the season.
Sánchez was loaned to second division's Real Madrid Castilla in January 2007 and, at the end of the campaign, which ended in relegation, was loaned again, to Racing de Santander in La Liga, appearing significantly as the Cantabrian side achieved a first-ever qualification to the UEFA Cup.
In July 2008 Sánchez returned to Espanyol, scoring his first official goal for the club in a 1–1 home draw with Getafe CF on 20 September. He played the entire season on the right flank, as the Pericos eventually avoided relegation.
Sánchez agreed to join Sevilla FC in July 2009 in a four-year deal worth €4 million, with an additional one million being added if the Andalusians attained certain goals. On 1 January 2010, it was announced that he would be unable to play football again until 'rigorous tests' were carried out on his heart, after he complained of pains. His season outputs consisted of seven league games – helping Sevilla to the fourth place – and two in the Copa del Rey which the club won, both legs of the clash against lowly CF Atlético Ciudad (9–3 on aggregate).
On 18 January 2011, after more than one year out of football, Sánchez returned to active – he had already been an unused substitute the previous week against former side Espanyol – starting in a Spanish Cup match against Villarreal CF, and helping the title holders reach the semifinals after a 3–0 home win (6–3 on aggregate).
On 23 June 2011, Sánchez left Sevilla and joined neighbours Málaga CF for €2.8 millions, signing a four-year contract. He made his debut for his new club on 25 September, appearing as a right back in a 0–0 draw at Zaragoza.
On 28 June 2015, after being linked to former club Espanyol and Beşiktaş JK, 29-year-old Sánchez moved abroad for the first time in his career and signed with Panathinaikos FC, earning a reported annual salary of €800.000 including objectives.
- Sevilla sign Sánchez; Sky Sports, 23 July 2009
- Sevilla defender Sergio Sanchez out with possible heart problem
- Tevez blasts City into fourth round of FA Cup; ESPN Soccernet US, 18 January 2011
- El Málaga ficha a Sergio Sánchez por 2,8 millones (Málaga signs Sergio Sánchez for 2,8 millions); Marca, 23 June 2011 (Spanish)
- "Malaga denied at the last". ESPN Soccernet. 25 September 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- El Madrid se aferra a la Copa (Madrid clings on to Cup); Marca, 3 January 2012 (Spanish)
- "Sanchez on the verge of sealing Panathinaikos move". SDNA. 25 June 2015. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Sergio Sánchez ficha por el Panathinaikos" [Sergio Sánchez signs for Panathinaikos] (in Spanish). El Mundo Deportivo. 26 June 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Sanchez arrives by Tuesday". SDNA. 26 June 2015. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- Málaga official profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Sergio Sánchez – FIFA competition record
- Sergio Sánchez profile at Soccerway