Sergio Trujillo is a Colombian choreographer. Trujillo was the recipient of the 2015 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Theatre Choreographer.
Trujillo explained his desire to be a choreographer: "I knew that Fosse was going to be my last show. What started to happen was that I began feeling restricted, bound and suffocated by somebody else’s work. I didn’t get to express myself, and I needed to do something about it."
In 2011, Trujillo had the honor of having four shows simultaneously running on Broadway; Tony Award winning Best Musical Memphis (Olivier Award, Outer Critics Circle Award, Drama Desk and Astaire Award nominations), Tony and Olivier Award winning Best Musical Jersey Boys (Greenroom Award, Olivier, Drama Desk, Dora, Outer Critics Circle Award nominations), The Addams Family, and Next to Normal, the recipient of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize.
Trujillo made his Broadway debut as a performer in Jerome Robbins' Broadway in 1989 and also appeared in Guys and Dolls (1992), Victor/Victoria (1998) and Fosse (1999). He made his choreographic debut with All Shook Up in 2005. That same year he choreographed Jersey Boys on Broadway, and he worked with the Las Vegas, West End, Chicago, and US national tour companies as well.
Trujillo is the choreographer of the Broadway production On Your Feet! The Emilio and Gloria Estefan Musical, which opened in 2015. Other Broadway choreography credits: Hands on a Hardbody (Drama Desk nomination), Leap of Faith, and Guys and Dolls in 2009 (Astaire Awards nomination).
- Other stage
Off-Broadway, Trujillo choreographed Invisible Thread (2015), Bare: A Pop Opera (2004), A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for City Center Encores!, The Great American Trailer Park Musical (2005), Public Theater/Shakespeare in the Park's production of Romeo & Juliet (2007), Kismet for "Encores!" and Saved (2008) for Playwrights Horizons (Lucille Lortel Awards Nomination).
His regional theatre credits include Mambo Kings (San Francisco), Zhivago and The Wiz at the La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego, a US tour of Kiss of the Spider Woman (performer, mid-1990s) and West Side Story in 1999 & 2009 at the Stratford Festival, Canada. He also choreograped at the Village Theatre for their musical staging of The Wedding Banquet (2003). In the West End he choreographed Peggy Sue Got Married. He choreographed the Disney musical Tarzan in Amsterdam in 2007 (.
Other theatre credits include Arrabal - A Tango Rock Opera, Kiss of the Spider Woman (Northshore Music Theatre), Kiss Me Kate (Tokyo), Needfire (Royal Alexandra Theater), a musical adaptation of Twelfth Night in Tokyo, and segments of Chita Rivera's Chita and All That Jazz.
Sergio Trujillo was born in Colombia and in December 2012, Trujillo was distinguished as one of the Top 100 Colombians in the world by President Juan Manuel Santos.
Awards and nominations
- 2016 Tony Award Best Choreography, On Your Feet! (nominee)
- 2015 Olivier Award Best Theatre Choreographer, Memphis the Musical, (winner)
- 2013 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography, Hands on a Hardbody (nominee)
- 2012 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography, Leap of Faith (nominee)
- 2010 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography, Memphis (nominee)
- 2009 Lucille Lortel Award Outstanding Choreographer, Saved (nominee)
- 2006 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography, Jersey Boys (nominee)
- Herstein, Beth April 2009 interview with Sergio Trujillo
- "The Ubiquitous Choreographer: Sergio Trujillo". Playbill. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- Credits at Playbill.com
- Jones, Kenneth."Zaks Is New Patriarch of Addams Family; Previews Will Now Begin March 8" playbill.com, December 29, 2009
- Dolen, Christine,. "Flashdance the Musical’ makes a splash at the Broward Center" miami.com, March 1, 2013
- Credits at BroadwayWorld.com
- Gans, Andrew."Jersey Boys' Trujillo Working on European Tarzan" playbill.com, March 19, 2007
- Citron, Paula (2011-12-07). "Sergio Trujillo: From Jane/Finch to Broadway". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Sergio Trujillo Broadway Awards" ibdb.com, accessed May 20, 2016
- "Olivier Winners 2015" olivierawards.com, accessed May 20, 2016
- Saved lortel.com, accessed May 20, 2016