May 13, 1950 |
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Awards||Bôcher Prize (1999)|
|Doctoral advisors||Fritz John
Sergiu Klainerman (born May 13, 1950) is a mathematician known for his contributions to the study of hyperbolic differential equations and general relativity. He is a Professor in the Department of Mathematics at Princeton University, a position he held since 1987. From 1980 to 1987 he was a faculty member at New York University.
Klainerman is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (elected 2005), a foreign member of the French Academy of Sciences (elected 2002) and a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (elected 1996). He was elected to the 2018 class of fellows of the American Mathematical Society.
He was named a MacArthur Fellow in 1991 and Guggenheim Fellow in 1997. Klainerman was awarded the Bôcher Memorial Prize by the American Mathematical Society in 1999 "for his contributions to nonlinear hyperbolic equations". He is currently a co-Editor-in-Chief of Publications Mathématiques de l'IHÉS.
- Klainerman, Sergiu, Uniform decay estimates and the Lorentz invariance of the classical wave equation. Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 38 (1985), no. 3, pp. 321–332
- Klainerman, Sergiu, The null condition and global existence to nonlinear wave equations. Nonlinear systems of partial differential equations in applied mathematics, Part 1 (Santa Fe, N.M., 1984), pp. 293–326, Lectures in Appl. Math., 23, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1986. ISBN 0-8218-1125-8
- Klainerman, Sergiu; Machedon, Matei, Space-time estimates for null forms and the local existence theorem, Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 46 (1993), no. 9, pp. 1221–1268
- Christodoulou, Demetrios; Klainerman, Sergiu, The global nonlinear stability of the Minkowski space. Princeton Mathematical Series, 41. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1993. ISBN 0-691-08777-6
- Klainerman, Sergiu; Machedon, Matei, Smoothing estimates for null forms and applications. A celebration of John F. Nash, Jr., Duke Mathematical Journal., vol. 81 (1995), no. 1, pp. 99–133
- 1999 Bôcher Prize, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 46 (1999), no. 4, pp. 463-466
- National Academy of Sciences elections, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 52 (2005), no. 7, p. 764
- Sergiu Klainerman bio page, French Academy of Sciences. Accessed January 13, 2010.
- American Academy Elections. Notices of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 43 (1996), no. 7, p. 781
- 2018 Class of the Fellows of the AMS, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2017-11-03
- MacArthur Fellows, July 1991, MacArthur Foundation. Accessed January 13, 2010.
- Fellows list, Guggenheim Foundation. Accessed January 13, 2010.
- Editorial Board, Publications Mathématiques de l'IHÉS. Accessed January 13, 2010