He was the leader of the first Turkish expedition to climb Mount Everest, a team of six men and four women, who all reached the summit. Serhan made the summit with five other members on the second attempt of the team on May 24, 2006.
He is married to Burçak Özoğlu, a mountaineer colleague of him, who was also on the peak of Mt. Everest along with him on the same day.
- "Tırmanış Takımı" (in Turkish). 2006 Everest Turkiye Tırmanışı.
- "Everest'e tırmanan Türk dağcılar Türkiye'de". Hürriyet (in Turkish). June 9, 2006. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "First Turkish team to scale Mt. Everest sets out this week". Hürriyet. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "2006 Turkish Everest Expedition". Arun Treks & Expeditions. Archived from the original on 2007-03-22.
- "Everest'te açık hava mezarlığı". Radikal (in Turkish). July 4, 2006. Retrieved March 1, 2009.
- Demirbilek, Celal (2006-06-11). "Zirvede Türk damgası". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2013-09-06.