Serhiy Taruta (Ukrainian: Сергій Олексійович Тарута, Russian: Сергей Алексеевич Тарута, tr. Sergei Alekseyevich Taruta, born 22 July 1955 in Vynohradne, Donetsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR) is a Ukrainian politician and current member of the Ukrainian parliament, oligarch, founder of Industrial Union of Donbas, President of FC Metalurh Donetsk, and the former governor of Donetsk Oblast.
Taruta was born in Mariupol in 1955 and was a successful cyclist in his youth; he later claimed that he rode an average of 120 kilometres a day. He studied at Priazovskiy Derzhavniy Technical University before going on to work at the large Ukrainian metal plant, Azovstal.
On 2 March 2014, amidst the 2014 pro-Russian conflict in Ukraine, acting President Oleksandr Turchynov appointed Taruta Governor of Donetsk Oblast. On 10 October 2014, President Petro Poroshenko fired Taruta from office, replacing him with Oleksandr Kikhtenko.
In the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election Taruta as an independent candidate won a single-member district in Mariupol with 60.00% of the votes and is thus a member of the Ukrainian parliament since 27 November 2014.
- (Ukrainian) Candidates and winner for the seat in constituency 58 in the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election, RBK Ukraine
- Roman Olearchik (March 2, 2014). "Akhmetov joins Ukraine oligarchs in pledging to protect homeland". Financial Times. Archived from the original on March 2, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Ukraine: Are oligarch appointments at odds with new sense of fairness?". The Guardian. March 8, 2014. Archived from the original on March 9, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Business model of Yatsenyuk is to build oligarchic corporation out of Ukraine". Voice of Russia. March 4, 2014. Archived from the original on April 17, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Andrew Roth (March 7, 2014). "Ukrainian Officials in East Act to Blunt Pro-Russian Forces". The New York Times. Archived from the original on March 25, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- Alexander Techinsky (July 1, 2008). "In Pictures: The Billionaires Of Eastern Europe". Forbes. Archived from the original on April 19, 2014.
- "Сергей Тарута. История бизнесмена-мечтателя". Forbes.net.ua. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "Тарута Сергей". ЛІГА.Досье. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- Andrew E. Kramer (March 2, 2014). "Ukraine Turns to Its Oligarchs for Political Help". The New York Times. Archived from the original on March 3, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- Putin and Poroshenko to meet in Milan - Deutsche Welle, 11 October 2014
- Petro Poroshenko presented new Head of Donetsk RSA Oleksandr Kikhtenko - Press office of President of Ukraine, 10 October 2014
- Ukraine president replaces Donetsk governor with hardline general - Business Insider, 10 October 2014
- CEC registers 357 newly elected deputies of 422, National Radio Company of Ukraine (25 November 2014)
Parliament to form leadership and coalition on November 27, UNIAN (26 November 2014)