Seri Tanjung Pinang
Seri Tanjung Pinang
|District||Northeast Penang Island|
|• Local government||Penang Island City Council|
|• Mayor of Penang Island||Yew Tung Seang|
|• Tanjong Bunga State Assemblyman||Zairil Khir Johari (DAP)|
|• Bukit Bendera Member of Parliament||Wong Hon Wai (DAP)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||Not observed|
Seri Tanjung Pinang is a residential neighbourhood within the city of George Town in Penang, Malaysia. The neighbourhood, located within the Tanjung Tokong suburb, lies 4.5 km (2.8 mi) northwest of the city centre and was created on land reclaimed in the 1990s.
The ongoing reclamation of Seri Tanjung Pinang is expected to be completed by 2018.[needs update] At the time of writing, Seri Tanjung Pinang is home to a handful of retail complexes, most notably Straits Quay and a Tesco outlet.
The Seri Tanjung Pinang project was first mooted in the 1980s, during the tenure of the then Chief Minister of Penang, Lim Chong Eu. The project is split into two phases, with land reclamation for Phase 1 commencing in the 1990s. However, the land reclamation was put on hold following the 1997 Asian financial crisis.
Having acquired the site in 2003, Eastern & Oriental Berhad resumed the development of the first phase. In spite of the increasing costs, the 240-acre (970,000 m2) Seri Tanjung Pinang Phase 1 was completed by 2005.
The second phase of the Seri Tanjung Pinang project began in 2016 and involves the reclamation of 760 acres (3,100,000 m2) of land from the Penang Strait. The land reclamation of Phase 2 was scheduled for completion by 2018.
Seri Tanjung Pinang is served by Rapid Penang's Congestion Alleviation Transport (CAT) Tanjung Tokong route, a free-of-charge transit service within Tanjung Tokong. In addition, the Hop-On Hop-Off bus service also includes a stop at Straits Quay.
Straits Quay, a marina-cum-shopping mall within the neighbourhood, was completed in 2010. Aside from containing over 100 retail lots, the marina consists of 40 pontoon berths designed to accommodate small recreational boats. The mall also houses the Performing Arts Centre of Penang (Penangpac) and a convention centre.
- "Tanjung Pinang Development". www.stp2.my. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "E&O unit starts work on Seri Tanjung Pinang phase two - Business News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "E&O Berhad". www.easternandoriental.com. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "Seri Tanjung Pinang - Phase 2". Penang Property Talk. 2017-03-30. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- The Star Online (2018-02-14), Penang announces RM15m free bus service, retrieved 2018-04-01
- "Penang Hop-On Hop-Off Official Website". www.myhoponhopoff.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "Portal Rasmi Kerajaan Negeri Pulau Pinang - Launching Tesco Tanjung Pinang". www.penang.gov.my. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "Tesco comes to Tanjung Tokong - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-22.