The cays from south to north are:
- Southwest Cay (500 by 200 meters)
- South Cay (150 by 25 meters)
- Little Cay (less than 100 meters in diameter)
- East Cay (80 by 40 meters)
- Narrow Cay
- North Cay
On September 8, 1972, the United States and Colombia signed a treaty recognizing the latter's sovereignty over Quita Sueño Bank, Roncador Cay, and Serrana Bank. This treaty became effective on September 17, 1981.
- Milliman, John D. (15 August 1969), Atoll Research Bulletin No. 129 Four Southwestern Caribbean Atolls: Courtown Cays, Albuquerque Cays, Roncador Bank and Serrana Bank (PDF), The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, USA, retrieved 2013-08-16
- Cortes, Jorge (2003). Latin American Coral Reefs. Gulf Professional Publishing. p. 283. ISBN 978-0444540256. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Territorial and Maritime Dispute (Nicaragua v. Colombia). Counter-Memorial of the Republic of Colombia" (PDF). 1. International Court of Justice. 11 November 2008: 30. para. 2.23. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- ElTiempo.com[dead link]
- International Court of Justice (2012). "Territorial and maritime dispute (Nicaragua vs Colombia)" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-11-27.