This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||13 mattress manufacturers|
Serta is an American company based in Hoffman Estates, Illinois that specializes in developing and manufacturing mattresses. It was founded in 1931 in Illinois as Sleeper, Inc. by 13 mattress manufacturers who licensed the Serta name; subsequently eight independent licensees acting like a cooperative owned the company. Afterwards, it was controlled and operated as Serta International by its largest licensee, National Bedding Company, (which ultimately held 27 of the 34 U.S. Serta manufacturing licenses). In 2005, two private equity groups teamed up to purchase National Bedding Co.--The Ares Corporate Opportunities Fund, the Los Angeles-based private equity fund of Ares Management; and Teachers’ Private Capital, the private equity arm of the Ontario (Canada) Teachers’ Pension Plan. The American company Serta International is a subsidiary of the American company Serta Simmons Holdings LLC. Other licensees include Serta Dormae in Texas, Serta Restokraft in Michigan, and Salt Lake Mattress in Utah.
Serta is the largest mattress brand in the United States, and offers four main types of mattresses - traditional inner spring, gel-infused memory foam, hybrid mattresses which combine both, and the Salt Lake City plant exclusively produces a Talalay Latex collection. Serta products are used extensively in the lodging industry, with Hilton Worldwide and Wyndham Worldwide among its customers. Serta mattresses are also offered on cable home shopping channel ShopNBC. In August 2018, Serta Simmons Holdings LLC announced a merger with online retailer Tuft & Needle.
- "National Bedding to head Serta, Ed Lilly leaves company." BedTimes Magazine. September 2004. Retrieved 2011-9-19.
- "Two equity firms purchase Serta." BedTimes Magazine. September 2005. Retrieved 2011-12-7.
- "Serta Gets New Production Facility in S. Dallas, TX | Trade and Industry Development". 2018-07-03. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "No time to relax in mattress biz". Crain's Detroit Business. 2013-03-15. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Serta licensee Salt Lake Mattress Going Strong After 125 Years". Honest Mattress Reviews. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Auer, Joe. "Serta Mattress Company Overview". Mattress Clarity. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "Serta Simmons And Tuft & Needle Announce Merger". Mattress Clarity. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
|This article about furniture or furnishing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|