Servant of the People
|Servant of the People|
|Created by||Volodymyr Zelensky|
|Theme music composer||Dmytro Shurov|
|Country of origin||Ukraine|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||51|
|Production location(s)||Kyiv, Ukraine|
|Running time||40—90 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||November 16, 2015 –|
March 28, 2019
Servant of the People (Ukrainian: Слуга народу, romanized: Sluha Narodu, Russian: Слуга народа, romanized: Sluga Naroda, sometimes translated as Servant of the Nation) is a Ukrainian political satire comedy television series that premiered on 16 October 2015. The show tells the story of Vasyl Petrovych Holoborodko (Volodymyr Zelensky), a thirty-something high school history teacher who unexpectedly wins election to the presidency of Ukraine, after a viral video filmed by one of his students shows him angrily ranting against government corruption in Ukraine.
Ironically, the show would become much more involved in Ukraine's actual politics. On 31 March 2018, a political party named after the television series was registered with the Ministry of Justice. Furthermore, Volodymyr Zelensky, who played the protagonist of the series playing the President of Ukraine, was actually elected President of Ukraine on 21 April 2019.
Cast and characters
- Vasyl Petrovych Holoborodko (Volodymyr Zelensky): President of Ukraine, formerly a high school history teacher.
- Yuriy Ivanovich Chuiko (Stanislav Boklan): Prime Minister of Ukraine
- Petro Holoborodko (Viktor Saraykin): Vasyl's father
- Mariya Holoborodko (Nataliya Sumska): Vasyl's mother
- Svetlana Petrovna Sakhno (Kateryna Kisten): Vasyl's sister, former 1st deputy of the tax service
- Olha Yuriyivna Mishchenko (Olena Kravets): Vasyl's ex-wife, director of the Central Bank, later acting Prime Minister
- Serhiy Mukhin (Yevhen Koshovy): Minister of Foreign Affairs, former actor
- Mikhaylo Sanin (Yury Krapov)
- Ivan Skorik (Oleksandr Pikalov): Minister of Defence, former captain
- Natasha Sakhno (Anna Koshmal): Vasyl's niece
- Anna Mikhailovna (Halyna Bezruk)
Servant of the People aired on the 1+1 channel in Ukraine. The studio also posted all episodes for free on YouTube. The show is available for streaming and download on Netflix in some countries.
Film and second season
- Jacobsen, Katherine (13 December 2016). "How a Fictional President Is Helping Ukrainians Rethink Their Absurd Politics". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- Kao, Anthony (6 June 2017). "Ukraine's 'Servant of the People' is a hidden gem of political comedy". Cinema Escapist. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- Kao, Anthony (22 August 2017). "Interview: Vladimir Zelenskiy on playing Ukraine's president in 'Servant of the People'". Cinema Escapist. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- ‹See Tfd›(in Russian) The Ministry of Justice registered the party "Servant of the people", Ukrainian News Agency (26 April 2018)
- "Ukrainian political comedy series 'Servant of the People' Season 2 will be released in October 2017". kvartal95.com.