Serve America Movement
|Leader||None - Chairman with collective of Directors|
|Ideology||Big tent (official)|
• Liberal conservatism
• Social liberalism
|Colors||Red, white and blue (national colors)|
|Seats in the Senate|
0 / 100
|Seats in the House|
0 / 435
0 / 50
|State Upper House Seats|
0 / 1,972
|State Lower House Seats|
0 / 5,411
The Serve America Movement (SAM) is a political organization founded by Morgan Stanley lawyer Eric Grossman in 2017. The party achieved its first state party in New York with ballot access, the party has stated they intend to surpass the elections vote limit or use petitions to gain access in other states to contest future elections. The party contested its first election in the New York Gubernatorial election of 2018 with candidate Stephanie Miner. The party has no registered members in New York as of early 2019.
Foundation and history
The party's founders have previously worked as staffers for George W. Bush, including CEO of SAM Sarah Lenti who served under Condoleezza Rice as a Director on the National Security Council and Reed Galen who worked on three of Bush's presidential campaigns and is chief strategist of the party.
On June 18, 2018 Stephanie Miner, a registered Democrat, announced she would run for the 2018 New York gubernatorial election and announced she would run under the party. Miner subsequently picked former Republican Mayor of Pelham, Michael Volpe as her running mate.
The party chair, Scott Muller, has stated he intends to register the party in New York before expanding to create a national party. Miner was required to achieve 50,000 votes in the election for the party or use petitions to gain permanent ballot access for the next four years, as other minor parties must also achieve this vote count.
SAM have recently announced that they would work with the newly created Kansas movement Party of the Center to gather the 18,000 petition signatures necessary to certify the party on Kansas ballots.
On August 21, SAM achieved ballot access for their first electoral race in the New York Gubernatorial election in 2018. The party gained 40,000 signatures which far exceeded the 15,000 required, and the petitions were subsequently deemed valid. The party will now be able to form a SAM party within the state of New York to contest any future elections they may wish to enter. On November 11, SAM became a ballot-access qualified party in New York state after Miner got 50,000 votes on the party line.
The party has no registered members in New York as of early 2019.
The party generally takes a centrist or center-right approach, as the party is founded by former George W. Bush staffers. As a result of the ideological foundations of the party, it aims to attract both moderate Republicans and centrist Democrats.
The party follows a set of general principles rather than an objective ideology of policies, in order to pursue a common outcome without divisive political differences.
The party's priorities include:
- Addressing income inequality
- Innovating health care
- Improving the education system
- Remaining fiscally responsible
- Promoting diversity
- Embracing free markets
- Providing simple and fair tax
- Supporting liberal democracy domestically and internationally
- Undertaking criminal justice reform
- Pursue electoral reform (Including: Sore-loser law)
- Rejecting isolationism
|Serve America Movement Gubernatorial Tickets - New York|
|Year||State||Nominee||Running Mate||Vote Count||Percentage||Place||Notes|
|2018||New York||Stephanie Miner||Michael Volpe||51,367||.89||5th||Candidacy validated ✔|
- American Party of South Carolina
- Libertarian Party of New York
- Moderate Party of Rhode Island
- Modern Whig Party
- Third party (United States)
- Unity Party of America
- Independent Party of Oregon
- List of political parties in the United States
- syracuse.com. "What is Serve America Movement? Obscure new party backs Stephanie Miner for governor". syracuse.com.
- "Kansas' new Party of the Center joins with national group". The Seattle Times. 3 March 2018.
- Lombardo, David (February 5, 2019). "Libertarian numbers grow in New York". Times Union (Albany, NY). Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- "A Morgan Stanley Star Wants You to Back His Political Movement". Bloomberg. July 2, 2018.
- "Join Sam (homepage)". SAM - Serve America Movement.
- "Ex-Bush staffers are trying to build their own political party - and they know it's going to be a steep climb". Business Insider. Apr 11, 2018.
- "Miner picks Republican village mayor as running mate in governor's race". CNYCentral.com. June 25, 2018.
- "What is Serve America Movement? Obscure new party backs Stephanie Miner for governor". Syracuse.com.
- "National group joins effort to launch Party of the Center in Kansas". LJWorld (Lawrence Journal World). Feb 28, 2018.
- "Cuomo allies drop bid to boot Stephanie Miner from governor's ballot". Syracuse.com. Sep 5, 2018.
- "Stephanie Miner wins ballot line for new Serve America Movement in NY governor race". syracuse.com. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Stephanie Miner to Make Independent Bid to Challenge Cuomo". The New York Times. June 18, 2018.
- "Our Principles". SAM - Serve America Movement.