|Industry||Local homeowner services|
|Founder||Rodney Rice, Michael Beaudoin|
|Chris Terrill, CEO|
|Services||Home improvement marketplace|
Number of employees
HomeAdvisor is a website that lists pre-screened and customer-rated service professionals. The website also has tools, products, and resources for home improvement, maintenance, and repair. HomeAdvisor is a subsidiary of IAC.
Professionals in the HomeAdvisor network are pre-screened for criminal records, bankruptcy issues, bad reviews, sex offenses, and cases of malpractice. Homeowners choose a category that matches their home improvement needs, enter their full address or adjacent cross-streets and contact information and answer three pages of questions about their project.
HomeAdvisor comprehensive list of tools includes ProFinder, Pro Reviews, Cost Guide, Instant Booking and DesignMine. Access to all of the site’s features is free to homeowners, with no membership fees. Additionally, the field service management software mHelpDesk helps professionals streamline their business through scheduling, managing, and invoicing tools.
HomeAdvisor is headquartered in Golden, Colorado and has offices in Lenexa, KS, New York, NY, Indianapolis, IN, Downtown Denver, CO  and Colorado Springs, CO In 2014, HomeAdvisor was named one of The Denver Post’s Top Workplaces for the second year in a row and a finalist for the Colorado Technology Company of the Year award. Built In Colorado named HomeAdvisor the largest digital tech employer in Colorado.
ServiceMagic bought out a key competitor, ImproveNet, in 2005 for $6.7 million.
In January 2008, IAC/InterActiveCorp appointed Craig Smith as CEO of ServiceMagic, Inc. He was the Senior Vice President of the company's Consumer Division. Co-founders Rodney Rice and Michael Beaudoin became co-chairmen and advisors. ServiceMagic remained part of the parent company when IAC split into five publicly traded companies.
In March 2008, Service Magic launched ScreenAPro, which allows homeowners to screen contractors.
In October 2008, ServiceMagic US acquired the French business 123Devis.com and Travaux.com as well as UK business 123GetAQuote.co.uk, businesses founded by Jean-David Habib, to create ServiceMagic Europe. In March 2009, the UK business was rebranded ServiceMagic.co.uk.
In April 2009, Service Magic announced that it had formed a "strategic alliance" with the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) that would benefit both groups by bringing in more customers.
As of 2011, ServiceMagic has more than 1,100 employees.
In April 2011, Chris Terrill was hired as Chief Executive Officer.
In October 2012, HomeAdvisor launched Cost Guide, a comprehensive guide to home project cost profiles encompassing hundreds of project types, providing city, state and national project costs based on 600,000 cost profiles provided by real users and Home911, a mobile app that enables users to take control of any home repair emergency by giving instant access to pre-screened service professionals and live 24/7 support with the Home911 Homeowner Emergency Line, currently available on iOS.
In April 2013, HomeAdvisor placed 14th on the Denver Post's Top Workplaces of 2013.
In early 2014, HomeAdvisor added Leah Ingram as their finance expert.
In January 2014, HomeAdvisor's Women Executive Leadership and Learning program was recognized alongside Offerpop's Ladies for Offerpop, as a program to increase female employee retention in the male-dominated technology industry.
March 2014, HomeAdvisor CEO, Chris Terrill was interviewed by Built in Colorado on the topic of how HomeAdvisor operates as a website.
November 2014, Built In Colorado named HomeAdvisor the largest digital tech employer in Colorado 
January 20, 2015, HomeAdvisor launches on-demand scheduling, Instant Booking 
October 10, 2016, HomeAdvisor acquires German home services company, MyHammer. 
HomeAdvisor provides homeowner a number of tools to tackle home improvement and repair projects. They offer products such as True Cost Guide and DesignMine. Most recently, HomeAdvisor launched Instant Booking. Instant Booking allows homeowners to instantly schedule appointments and view pricing for over 500 home repair and improvement projects.
In 2016, HomeAdvisor announced integration of HomeAdvisor’s platform and/or app with Amazon’s Echo, Apple TV, Facebook Messenger  and Facebook Pages. All three integrations allow homeowners to find HomeAdvisor professionals within the associated app.
HomeAdvisor is also available for consumers and service professionals on mobile for both Android and iOS.
HomeAdvisor is owned by IAC, a publicly traded company, that owns other online companies such as Urbanspoon and Vimeo among many others. In November 2015, IAC CEO Joey Levin wrote to Angie’s List, a HomeAdvisor competitor, an unsolicited offer of purchase. IAC proposed a $500 million buy out of Angie’s List. At the time, Angie’s List stock was valued at $7.92, the offer was at a 10 percent premium. Upon the offer, Angie’s List stock increased to $8.77. Ultimately, Angie’s List declined the offer.
In an investor call reporting the quarter ending in December 31, 2015, IAC announced that HomeAdvisor would be reporting its earning in its own IAC segment. HomeAdvisor was formerly in IAC’s e-commerce segment.
HomeAdvisor owns four subsidiaries in Europe, Travaux, Werkspot, Instapro and MyHammer. HomeAdvisor recently acquired Canadian home services platform, HomeStars.
Travaux.com, acquired by HomeAdvisor in 2008, is France’s leading online marketplace connecting homeowners with home improvement service providers.
Werkspot, acquired by HomeAdvisor in 2013, is The Netherlands’ leading online marketplace connecting homeowners with home improvement service providers. In addition to The Netherlands, Werkspot also has a presence in an increasing number of other European countries under the name Instapro.
In October of 2016, HomeAdvisor acquired MyHammer, a top website for helping consumers locate tradespeople and service providers in Europe. MyHammer also operates in the UK and Austria.
In February of 2017, HomeAdvisor announced the acquisition of HomeStars, Canada’s leading home services platform connecting homeowners with service providers throughout Canada.
A couple reports have questioned the screening process of HomeAdvisor, pointing out loopholes available to contractors that have been used by criminals. Denver investigative reporter Heidi Hemmat uncovered a gap in the company’s screening process that could give consumers a false sense of security.
For example, one case in Austin, Texas involved a HomeAdvisor trusted contractor that left unfinished home improvement work after taking a deposit in 2014. It was later found the contractor had been sued 17 times since 2002. A company spokesperson said the website only screens for lawsuits from the day contractors sign up for its service. The screening only goes back one year for civil judgments and it never re-screens contractors again.
From the contractor's standpoint, the onus is upon the contractor to apply for credit for duplicate leads and/or those with faulty contact information. There is a 30 day limitation to receive credit for duplicate lead and/or faulty information lead. The lead in question must be pointed out to HomeAdvisor in order to receive credit and under no circumstance will a refund be given beyond the 30 day window.
The Better Business Bureau currently (December 2016) has over 900 complaints but gives the company an A+ rating. https://www.bbb.org/denver/business-reviews/referral-contractor/homeadvisor-in-lakewood-co-22000608
- Chris Terrill, CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- Craig Smith, President of HomeAdvisor U.S./COO (Chief Operating Officer) of HomeAdvisor International
- Brandon Ridenour, CTO (Chief Technology Officer) & CPO (Chief Product Officer)
- Paul Freeman, CFO (Chief Financial Officer)
- Allison Lowrie, CMO (Chief Marketing Officer)
- Vuong, Andy (October 1, 2012). "Golden's ServiceMagic becomes HomeAdvisor in risky rebranding strategy". Denver Post.
- Yamshon, Leah (September 5, 2011). "Angie's List: Is the Service Site Worth Its Membership Fee?". PC World.
- Carey, Pete (September 7, 2012). "Click your way to a home repair". Mercury News.
- "HomeAdvisor Launches On-Demand Scheduling". PR Newswire. January 20, 2015.
- Avery, Greg (October 5, 2012). "HomeAdvisor expands services with acquisition". Denver Business Journal.
- McGowan, Dan (December 7, 2015). "HomeAdvisor Announces New Indy Office". Inside Indiana Business.
- Chuang, Tamara. "HomeAdvisor targets Denver for next big project: corporate relocation". Denver Post.
- Gavin Matthews (January 16, 2015). "Repetition, Repetition, Repetition: Sales Training with HomeAdvisor". CommercialTribe. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- The Denver Post (November 23, 2014). "TOP WORKPLACES 2014". Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- Megan Ryan (November 6, 2014). "14th annual APEX Awards recognize 10 outstanding technology leaders". Colorado Technology Association. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- Garrett Reim (November 23, 2014). "The Top 100 Digital Employers in Colorado". Built In Colorado. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "ServiceMagic: Tale of a Dot-Com Survivor" (PDF). Local Media Journal. I (6). 23 September 2004. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "History". HomeAdvisor. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- Arellano, Kristi (July 23, 2004). "InterActiveCorp adds ServiceMagic to web of offerings". The Denver Post. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- Fillion, Roger (June 24, 2005). "Servicemagic to buy rival". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "ServiceMagic names new CEO". Denver Business Journal. January 23, 2008. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "Service Magic Announces Launch of Screen-A-Pro". PRNewswire. March 25, 2008.
- "ServiceMagic.com and NKBA Form Alliance". Appliance Magazine. April 6, 2009. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Denver-area companies learn to use Internet, social media to stand out". The Denver Post. August 1, 2011.
- "ServiceMagic names new CEO". Denver Business Journal. April 25, 2011.
- "How One Brand Switched A Million URLs & Lived To Tell About It: 5 Questions With HomeAdvisor.com". Search Engine Land. August 26, 2013.
- "HomeAdvisor Acquires Leading Dutch Home Improvement Platform Werkspot.nl". About HomeAdvisor. April 8, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Denver Post's Top Workplaces 2013". Denver Post. April 21, 2013. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- "Helpouts by Google: A high-tech take on the old-fashioned hanhouse". The Denver Post. December 9, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "The 10 Best Apps for DIYers". Popular Mechanics. December 9, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "Dwell: HomeAdvisor Connects You to Home Improvement Pros". 5280. August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Our Spokespeople: Leah Ingram". 5280. December 6, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "How to Really Hire (and Retain) More Women in Tech". Fast Company. January 15, 2014. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- Matthew Sibley (March 18, 2014). "HomeAdvisor pivoted like a startup, but profits like an established company". Built In Colorado. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Chuang, Tamara (10 October 2016). "HomeAdvisor expands to Germany with purchase of MyHammer".
- Chuang, Tamara (October 19, 2016). "HomeAdvisor gets nod in new Facebook feature". The Denver Post.
- Cao, Jing (9 February 2017). "Source: Getty Images IAC's HomeAdvisor Uses Online Dating Playbook for Global Growth".
- Duryee, Tricia (August 11, 2015). "HomeAdvisor rolls out new booking feature to eliminate playing phone tag with contractors". GeekWire.
- Lee, Seung (January 9, 2016). "If You Want A Smart Home, You May Need To Start With Amazon Echo". Newsweek.
- Gebhart, Andrew (January 7, 2016). "HomeAdvisor works with Alexa to call the plumber for you when you need it". cnet.
- Madden, Sam (January 19, 2015). "With Google, Facebook And Nextdoor, What's Next For Lead Generation?". TechCrunch.
- Wagner, Kurt (October 19, 2016). "Facebook wants you to buy movie tickets and order pizza from its app". recode.
- Long, Stephanie (July 11, 2016). "HomeAdvisor helps you take immediate action when you need home services". Digital Trends.
- Demmitt, Jacob (November 11, 2015). "Angie's List rebuffs $500M acquisition offer from Internet behemoth IAC". GeekWire.
- Cao, Jing (November 11, 2015). "IAC Proposes to Buy Angie's List for $8.75 a Share in Cash". BloombergBusiness.
- Duryee, Tricia (January 21, 2016). "IAC Realigns Reporting Segments, Changes Ticker". Wall Street Journel.
- Kilgore, Tomi (November 17, 2015). "HomeAdvisor rolls out new booking feature to eliminate playing phone tag with contractors". MarketWatch.
- Soussan, Carole (April 2, 2015). "Eggs present Travaux.com". GeekWire.
- Boogert, Erwin (September 30, 2015). "Werkspots buitenlandse naam wordt Instapro". GeekWire.
- Chuang, Tamara (10 October 2016). "HomeAdvisor expands to Germany with purchase of MyHammer".
- Cao, Jing (9 February 2017). "Source: Getty Images IAC's HomeAdvisor Uses Online Dating Playbook for Global Growth". Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "Website that Claims to Pre-Screen Contractors May Leave Customers with a False Sense of Security". Fox31 Denver. November 19, 2014.
- "Loopholes Uncovered in HomeAdvisor Contractor Screening Process". KVUE-TV/ABC. July 28, 2015.
- "HomeAdvisor.com | Lead-credit-guidelines". pro.homeadvisor.com. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- Official website
- Corporate website
- UK website
- FR website
- NL website
- IT website
- DE website
- CA website