||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2009)|
He has taught composition and literature in East LA since 1985, and has also taught at the University of Iowa, the California Institute of the Arts, the University of California, Santa Cruz and the Jack Kerouac School's Summer Writing Program.  He was in residence at California State University, Los Angeles.
- 2010 American Book Award for World Ball Notebook
- 2009 Asian American Literary Award for Poetry for World Ball Notebook
- 2005 Believer Book Award for Atomik Aztex
- 1990 American Book Award for Invocation LA: Urban Multicultural Poetry
- finalist for a PEN Center West Poetry Prize, for City Terrace Field Manual
- finalist for the Paterson Poetry Prize for City Terrace Field Manual
- City Terrace Field Manual. Kaya/Muae. 1996. ISBN 978-1-885030-19-1.
- Michelle T. Clinton, Sesshu Foster, Naomi Quinonez, eds. (July 1989). Invocation L.A.: Urban Multicultural Poetry. West End Press. ISBN 978-0-931122-52-1.
- Atomik Aztex. City Lights Publishing. 2005. ISBN 978-0-87286-440-5.
- American Loneliness: Selected Poems (Beyond Baroque, 2006)
- World Ball Notebook. City Lights Publishing. 2008. ISBN 978-0-87286-467-2.
- Cary Nelson, ed. (January 13, 2000). Anthology of Modern American Poetry. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-512271-8.
- Tina Chang, Nathalie Handal, Ravi Shankar, ed. (April 17, 2008). Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond. W.W. Norton & Co. ISBN 978-0-393-33238-4.
- State of the Union: 50 Political Poems. Wave books. ISBN 978-1-933517-33-9.
- "Sesshu Foster", Modern American Poetry
- Excerpts from World Ball Notebook
- Salon.com audio, City Terrace Field Manual
- "Author's blog"
|This American poet–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|