Setapp dashboard running on macOS 10.13
Setapp (v1.18) / 9 October 2018
|Operating system||OS X 10.10 or higher|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish|
|License||Trialware,Software as a service|
Setapp is a subscription-based service for Mac applications created by MacPaw Inc. in 2016. It provides access to a growing collection of Mac software from different developers for a fixed monthly fee. There are now 120 apps in the Setapp subscription and more than 15,000 subscribers.
History and products
Setapp launched in beta in November , 2016, and was officially released in January, 2017. In June 2017, Setapp reported having 10,000 subscribers worldwide, mostly in the United States but with growing audiences in United Kingdom, Germany, and France. And November 2017 there were more than 200,000 trial users testing the service.
By June 2018, the service included over 115 applications, with an average of three new ones joining each month. App categories cover productivity, lifestyle, web development, Mac maintenance, creativity, writing, education, and personal finance.
Setapp introduced a subscription model for software usage akin to streaming services like Spotify and Netflix. Instead of paying a single price for a standalone application, users can use all the apps in the collection for a single monthly fee of $9.99.
The philosophy behind the initiative was to give users preselected, ready-to-use software that covers both generic and job-specific tasks. Applications on Setapp are automatically updated and contain no in-app purchases or advertisement.
Awards and recognition
- Awarded "Consumer Product of the Year" by Product Hunt at the 2017 Golden Kitty Awards.
- Finalist at the 21st annual Interactive Innovation Awards in the New Economy category 
- The Mac Observer: Favorite Mac Apps from 2017
- Cult of Mac: Best Mac apps of 2017
- BrettTerpstra.com: Best of 2017: working on macOS
- iCulture: Best Mac-app 2017
- OS X 10.10+
- 500 MB of free space for initial installation
- Internet connection to install separate apps
- Adam C. Engst (25 January 2017). "Setapp Offers Numerous Mac Apps for One Monthly Subscription Fee - TidBITS".
- William Gallagher (30 July 2018). "Hands On: Setapp's continuing attempt to change the way we all pay for Mac apps".
- Romain Dillet (24 January 2018). "Subscription service for Mac apps Setapp has 15,000 subscribers a year after its launch".
- TNW: Mattew Hughes (6 November 2016). "Setapp wants to be the Netflix of MacOS applications".
- Chris O'Brien (11 November 2016). "MacPaw wants to reinvent the Mac App Store experience with a subscription service called Setapp".
- Thorin Klosowski (25 January 2017). "Setapp, the Mac App Subscription Service, Is Now Live for Everyone".
- Adam C. Engst (29 June 2017). "Setapp At 5 Months: 10,000 Users and Better App Discovery - TidBITS".
- Yaroslav Stepanenko (16 July 2017). "Ultimate Guide to Product Localization – Yaroslav Stepanenko – Medium".
- Zac Hall (7 November 2017). "Setapp by the numbers: here's how the 'Netflix of apps' is doing so far".
- Ernie Smith (8 August 2017). "Could the Netflix Model Boost Enterprise Software?: Associations Now".
- Jackie Dove (25 January 2017). "Hands on with Setapp: Getting started with the Netflix of Mac apps - Macworld".
- "Must-have apps for your Mac - Setapp". Setapp. 28 March 2018.
- AppleWorld.Today: Dennis Sellers (25 January 2017). "Setapp, a Mac app subscription service, launches".
- Jeff Gamet (7 December 2016). "Setapp Brings Netflix-style Downloads to Mac Apps - The Mac Observer".
- Mike Wuerthele (27 January 2017). "Hands On: New Setapp service brings subscription apps to the Mac".
- Henry T. Casey (7 December 2016). "Software for Rent: Meet Setapp, a Netflix for Mac Apps".
- Erik Eckel (13 March 2017). "Setapp: Mac users' software purchases just got much easier - TechRepublic".
- AppAdvice: Bryan M. Wolfe (25 January 2017). "The Setapp App Rental Service Arrives for Mac, But Is It Any Good?".
- Juli Clover (25 January 2017). "New Mac App Subscription Service 'Setapp' Offers 60 Mac Apps for $9.99 Per Month - Mac Rumors".
- Juli Clover (11 October 2018). "Developers' Opinion of Mac App Store Improving, but Many Still Unhappy With Lack of Upgrade Options and Free Trials - Mac Rumors".
- "Golden Kitty Awards Winners". Product Hunt. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Interactive Innovation Awards - SXSW Conference & Festivals". SXSW. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- "Favorite Mac Apps from 2017 - The Mac Observer". The Mac Observer, Inc. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- Killian Bell. "Best Mac apps of 2017 - Cult of Mac Year in Review 2017". Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Best of 2017: working on macOS - BrettTerpstra.com". Brett Terpstra. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "iCulture Awards 2017: de allerbeste apps van 2017". iCulture. Retrieved 17 January 2018.