G. Seth Shostak
Seth Shostak participating in "Death From the Skies" panel at CSICon 2011 in New Orleans
|Alma mater||B.A. Princeton,|
Ph.D. California Institute of Technology
|Known for||SETI research|
|Awards||Klumpke-Roberts Award (2004)|
Carl Sagan Prize for Science Popularization (2015)
|Fields||Physics, astronomy, science communication|
Shostak hosts SETI's weekly radio show/podcast Big Picture Science, has played himself numerous times in TV and internet film dramas, and has acted in several science fiction films.
Early life and education
Shostak used radio telescopes in the USA and the Netherlands, searching for clues to the ultimate fate of the universe by analyzing galaxy motion. In 1999, he produced twelve 30-minute lectures on audio-tape and video titled "The Search for Intelligent Life in Space" for The Teaching Company. An updated overview about the search for extraterrestrial life was presented in 2019.
Since 2001, he has been the senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to "explore, understand and explain the origin, nature and prevalence of life in the universe". SETI Institute, located in Mountain View, California, employs over 50 researchers that study all aspects of the search for life, its origins, the environment in which life develops, and its ultimate fate.
He was the chair of the International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Committee from 2003-2012.
Shostak is an active participant in the Institute's observation programs and has been hosting SETI's weekly radio show Big Picture Science since 2002. Each week, Shostak interviews guests about the latest scientific research on a variety of topics: cosmology, physics, genetics, paleontology, evolutionary biology and astrobiology. Big Picture Science is distributed on the Public Radio Satellite System and the Public Radio Exchange and is available for download at the SETI Institute's website and through podcasts.
He has published four books, nearly 300 popular articles on astronomy, technology, film and television and gives frequent talks to both young and adult audiences.
|2008||The Day the Earth Stood Still||advisor: astrobiology (crew)||A remake of the 1951 classic sci-fi film about an alien visitor and his giant robot counterpart who visit Earth.|
|2007||Star Trek: Of Gods and Men||Enterprise Communications Officer (actor)||Video|
Television / web series
|2017||How the Universe Works||Himself as Astronomer
||Episode: "Strangest Alien Worlds"|
|2013||Alien Encounters (TV Mini-Series)||Himself as Senior Astronomer
|2012-2013||Ancient Aliens (TV Series Documentary)||Himself as Senior Astronomer
||Episode: "Destination Orion"|
Episode:"Aliens and Cover-Ups"
Episode:"The Time Travelers"
Episode:"The NASA Connection"
|2012||Science Club (TV Series)||Himself - SETI Institute
|2008-2012||Horizon (TV Series Documentary)||Himself - SETI Institute
||Episode:"The Transit of Venus: A Horizon Special"|
Episode:"Are We Alone in the Universe?"
|2012||Prophets of Science Fiction (TV Series Documentary)||Himself||Episode:"George Lucas"|
|2011||Curiosity (TV series documentaries)||Himself||Episode: Alien Invasion Are We Ready"|
|2010||Ideas That Changed the World (TV Series Documentary)||Himself||Episode:"Communication"|
|2010||Lost Tapes (TV Series)||Himself - Senior Astronomer, SETI Institute
|2010||Bad Universe (TV Series Documentary)||Himself||Episode:"Alien Attack!"|
|2010||Naked Science (TV Series Documentary)||Himself as Senior Astronomer||Episode: "Hunt for Aliens"|
|2009||The Colbert Report (TV Series)||Himself (Guest) - SETI Institute
|2007||UFO Files (TV Series Documentary)||Himself - SETI Institute
Episode (2005):"UFO Hunters"
Episode (2005):"The Day After Roswell"
|2007||The Universe (TV Series Documentary)||Himself as Senior Astronomer
||Episode:"Search for E.T."|
|2007||Is It Real? (TV Series Documentary)||Himself as Astronomer
||Episode: "Life on Mars"|
|2005||Extraterrestrial (TV Movie Documentary)||Himself - SETI Institute
|2005||How William Shatner Changed the World (TV Movie Documentary)||Himself - SETI Institute
||"SETI Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence"|
|1998||Life Beyond Earth (TV Movie Documentary)||Science Advisor (crew)||Written by Timothy Ferris for Public Broadcasting Service|
Shostak was the 2004 winner of the Klumpke-Roberts Award of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the public understanding and appreciation of astronomy.
He has been an observer for Project Phoenix (SETI) as well as an active participant in various international forums for SETI research. He served as chair of the International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Study Group from 2002 to 2012.
Shostak has been nominated by the SETI Institute to be one of the USA Science and Engineering Festival's Nifty Fifty Speakers, who will speak about his work and career to middle and high school students in October 2010.
Shostak's hobbies include film making, railroading, and computer animation. While working at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands, he founded DIGIMA, a computer animation company. He is a brother of Robert Shostak, developer of the Paradox relational database.
According to his C.V., Shostak has a considerable body of creative writing, mostly for corporate clients. He was also "idea man" behind a plan to build a large space and technology theme park in The Netherlands and also the Air and Space Exhibit at the California Science Center, where he also serves on the board.
- Life in the Universe, Jeffrey O. Bennett, Bruce Jakosky and Seth Shostak, 1980, ISBN 0-385-28458-6.
- Sharing the Universe: Perspectives on Extraterrestrial Life, Seth Shostak, foreword by Frank Drake 1998, ISBN 0-9653774-3-1.
- Cosmic Company: The Search for Life in the Universe, Seth Shostak, Alex Barnett, 2003, ISBN 0-521-82233-5.
- Confessions of an Alien Hunter: A Scientist's Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, Seth Shostak, foreword by Frank Drake 2009, ISBN 1-4262-0392-6.
- Shostak, Seth (21 May 2014). "Using Radio in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence" (PDF). US Congress. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-09-24. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Kleineidam, Alina (21 May 2014). "Astronomers tell Congress they're almost certain ET exists". ABC News. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast 582 2016-09-03
- "Nifty Fifty". Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Shostak, Seth". SETI Institute. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Shostak, Seth (4 October 2019). "We may be closing in on the discovery of alien life. Are we prepared? - New robotic craft bound for Mars should give us our best shot at finding life on the Red Planet". NBC News. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "IAA SETI Permanent Committee: Minutes". avsport.org.
- Seth, Shostak. "Big Picture Science". SETI Institute. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Big Picture Science". About...Big Picture Science. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Shostak, Seth. "Seth Shostak: ET is (probably) out there -- get ready". Ted.com.
- Ideas That Changed the World on IMDb
- Life Beyond Earth on IMDb
- "Seth Shostak". Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: GALE Literature Resource Center. 2010.
- "Sixteen Notable Figures in Science and Skepticism Elected CSI Fellows". 12 January 2010. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "CSICon 2019: Speakers". CSIconference.org/. CFI. Archived from the original on 25 October 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "IAA SETI Permanent Committee". The SETI League. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- (in Dutch) Nieuwsblad van het Noorden, March 25, 1988
- Shostak, Seth. "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF).
- Kaufman, Marc (15 March 2009). "Book Review: Confessions of an Alien Hunter by Seth Shostak". Washington Post.
|Library resources |
|By Seth Shostak|
- Seth Shostak on IMDb
- Seth Shostak biography at the SETI Institute
- SETI Institute Homepage
- "Are We Alone?" Radio Show
- Should We Keep a Low Profile in Space?
- "Boldly Going Nowhere" by Seth Shostak, The New York Times (April 13, 2009)
- Shostak interview (40:47) - RadioLIVE New Zealand (May 10, 2010)
- on YouTube
- Shostak testimony - U.S.Congress: "Using Radio in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence" (May 21, 2014)
- Shostak, Seth (15 January 2016). "Could This Be Humanity's Last Century?". SETI Institute.