|Member of the Cuyahoga County Commission from Seat 3|
|Succeeded by||Edward F. Feighan|
Seth Chase Taft
December 31, 1922
|Died||April 14, 2013 (aged 90)|
Pepper Pike, Ohio, U.S.
|Children||Frederick I. Taft|
Thomas P. Taft
Seth T. Taft
|Parent(s)||Charles Phelps Taft II|
Eleanor Chase Taft
Early life and education
Seth Chase Taft's paternal grandfather was President William Howard Taft. His parents were Cincinnati, Ohio mayor Charles Phelps Taft II and Eleanor Chase Taft, whose father ran the Waterbury Clock Company. Taft had five sisters and one brother and grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio. He married Frances "Franny" Prindle from New Haven, Connecticut.
Taft was an unsuccessful candidate for the Ohio Senate in 1962. He ran for the office of the mayor of Cleveland, in 1967, losing to Democratic candidate Carl B. Stokes, the first African American mayor of a major city.
In 1982, Taft sought the Republican nomination for governor of Ohio, but he lost the primary race to Clarence J. "Bud" Brown Jr. He was, however, a Cuyahoga County, Ohio Commissioner. Seth and Franny Taft had three sons: Frederick I. Taft, Thomas P. Taft, and Seth T. Taft, and a daughter, Cynthia Taft.
Seth Taft served as Cuyahoga County Commissioner from 1971 to 1978. He died on April 14, 2013, at his home in Pepper Pike, Ohio, after a fall at 90 years old. His wife Franny died four years later, at 95. They are survived by 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 12 great grandchildren.
- Taft family
- Self-published autobiographical essay: Take on the World! And See How Much You Learn! Seth Taft, December 1998
- Lawrence Kestenbaum. "Index to Politicians: Taft". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- Michael Evans, The Plain Dealer (15 April 2013). "Funeral for Seth Taft, former Cuyahoga County commissioner, will be Saturday, April 20". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer (19 May 2017). "Revered Cleveland Institute of Art professor emeritus Franny Taft, died Sunday at age 95". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- Taft, Seth (December 1998). Take on the World! And See How Much You Learn!. Euclid, Ohio: Williams Custom Publishing. ISBN 9781893435124.