Seth Thomas Clock Company
The Seth Thomas Clock Company was founded by Seth Thomas and began producing clocks in 1813. It was incorporated as the "Seth Thomas Clock Company" in 1853. The company manufactured clock movements for the Self Winding Clock Company from 1886 thru the early 1890s, in addition to its standard offering of longcase clocks, mantel, wall, and table-top clocks.
On May 7, 1926, Seth Thomas Clock Company filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for trademark protection of the Seth Thomas brand with regard to clocks. The trademark was granted with a registration date of October 12, 1926 and assigned registration number 0219268. The trademark is still active as of the last renewal date of February 17, 2017.
In 1968 General Time Corporation, consisting of the Westclox and Seth Thomas brands and the Westclox operation in Canada, was acquired from Talley Industries. Westclox Canada was the only company that came close to matching the production of Canada's leading clock company, The Arthur Pequegnat Clock Company.
Seth Thomas Clock Company was later owned by the Colibri Group. The company ceased operations on January 16, 2009, and went into receivership, but returned to business as of May 4, 2009, under the ownership of CST Enterprises in Cranston, Rhode Island. No manufacturing is underway, however an entire line of Seth Thomas Clocks is now available made by another clock builder for CST under the Seth Thomas brand.
In popular culture
A Seth Thomas Clock is visible above the bar when the main character checks the time in the episode of The Twilight Zone entitled "Judgment Night" which originally aired on December 4, 1959 as Season 1, Episode 10.
In John Steinbeck’ East of Eden, Chapter 36, third paragraph: “Each room had the usual desks of battered oak, a platform and square teacher’s desk, one SETH THOMAS CLOCK and one picture.“
A scene in the movie School of Rock shows Jack Black watching intently as a Seth Thomas wall clock strikes 3:00 pm.
- "About Seth Thomas". Colibri Corporation. Archived from the original on 2008-07-20. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- Bloore, J. Alan (June 2012). "The Self Winding Clock Company and the Ubiquitous Style "F" Vibrator Movement"". NAWCC Watch & Clock Bulletin. 54/3 No.397: 252.
- "SETH THOMAS Trademark of SETH THOMAS CLOCK COMPANY - Registration Number 0219268 - Serial Number 71231287 :: Justia Trademarks". trademarks.justia.com. Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "History of Seth Thomas Clock Company".
- "Seth Thomas Dies At 55 In Hospital. President of Clock Company Stricken on Train in Jersey on Way to New York Office". Associated Press. June 8, 1932.
Seth Thomas, Jr., president of the Seth Thomas Clock Company since 1915, died today at Christ Hospital from a cerebral ...
- "Washed Out - Title Card".
- The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection. Paramount Home Entertainment, Oct. 11. 2016.
- Zicree, Marc (2018). The Twilight Zone Companion. Los Angeles: Silman-James Press. p. 45. ISBN 9781935247173.