|Revised Romanization||Seung Hyo-sang|
Seung H-Sang (Hangul: 승효상; Hanja: 承孝相; RR: Seung Hyo-sang; born October 26, 1952) is a South Korean architect who studied at Seoul National University and Technische Universitaet in Wien. After working for Kim Swoo-geun from 1974 to 1989, he established his own office 'IROJE architects&planners' in 1989.
Seung was a core member of the 4.3 Group, which strongly influenced South Korean architecture, and participated in founding the Seoul School of Architecture for a new educational system. He is the author of 'Beauty of Poverty (1996 Mikunsa)', 'Architecture, Signs of Thoughts (2004 Dolbegae)', ‘Landscript (2009 Yoelhwadang)’ and 'Memorial of Roh Moo-hyun (2010 Nulwa)', and was an Visiting Professor of North London University and taught at Seoul National University and at Korea National University of Arts.
His works are based on his critical concerns with Western culture of the 20th century, particularly regarding the topics of beauty and poverty. He won various prizes for his practice and work and served as coordinator for 'Paju Book City'. The American Institute of Architects made Seung an Honorary Fellow of AIA in 2002, and the Korea National Museum of Contemporary of Art selected him as Artist of the Year in 2002, which was a first for any architect, after which he hosted a grand solo architecture exhibition. Seung has gained worldwide fame as an architect by way of his architectural achievements and various international exhibitions, as well as has spread his architectural influence over Asia, Europe, and the Americas. In 2007, the South Korean government honored Seung with the Korea Award for Art and Culture, and he was commissioned as director for Gwangju Design Biennale 2011 after for Korean Pavilion of Venice Biennale 2008. Since 2014 he as the first City Architect of Seoul Metropolitan Government is planning and reviewing major public projects in Seoul.
- Sujoldang, South Korea, 1993
- Subaekdang, South Korea, 1998
- Welcomm City, South Korea, 2000
- Commune by the Great Wall, Beijing, China, 2000
- Hyehwa Culture Center, Daejeon University, South Korea, 2003
- Chaowai SOHO, Beijing, China, 2004
- Korea DMZ Peach and Life Valley, South Korea, 2005
- 30th Anniversary Memorial Hall of Daejeon University, Korea, 2008
- Memorial for Former President, Roh Moo-hyun, South Korea, 2009
- 360 Earth Water Flower Wind Country Club, Yeoju, South Korea, 2009
- Teochon House, South Korea, 2010
- Art Villas, Jeju, South Korea, 2010
- Hyunam, Gunwi, South Korea, 2012
- Myung Films Paju Office, Paju, South Korea, 2015
- Beauty of Poverty (1996 Mikunsa)
- Architecture, Signs of Thoughts(2004 Dolbegae)
- Landscript, (2009 Youlhwadang)
- Old things are all beautiful (2012 Culturegrapher)
- 某用空間 (2013 typomedia)
- Seung H-Sang Document (2015 Youlhwadang)