Seven Hills Halt railway station
|Seven Hills Halt|
|Original company||Thetford and Watton Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway|
|1 March 1876||Station opened|
|8 June 1953||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Bury St Edmunds line
The railway line between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford was proposed by the Bury St Edmunds and Thetford Railway (B&TR) and authorised on 5 July 1865; but the company had problems in raising the necessary money. After assistance was given by the Thetford and Watton Railway (T&WR), the plan was modified, and instead of running to the main station at Thetford, a curve was built so that T&WR trains from Swaffham could run directly to the Bury St Edmunds line without reversing at Thetford. The B&TR line between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford Bridge was opened on 1 March 1876. The B&TR was purchased by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) in 1878.
Trains on the B&TR were operated by the T&WR until 1879, when operation was taken over by the GER; after this, trains from Bury began to run to Thetford; the east to south curve at Thetford Bridge was not used after 1880. Thetford Bridge was then the last station before Thetford.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Barnham||Great Eastern Railway
Thetford-Bury St Edmunds Line
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 208. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. p. 120. CN 8983.
- McCarthy, Colin; McCarthy, David; Cobb, Michael (August 2007). Waller, Peter, ed. Railways of Britain: Norfolk and Suffolk. Hersham: Ian Allan. p. 6. ISBN 978-0-7110-3223-1. 0708/c1.
- Allen, Cecil J. (1956) . The Great Eastern Railway (2nd ed.). Hampton Court: Ian Allan. p. 217.
- Awdry 1990, p. 166
- McCarthy, McCarthy & Cobb 2007, map 26
- Conolly, W. Philip (January 1976). British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer (5th ed.). Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 12, section B5. ISBN 0-7110-0320-3. EX/0176.