Seven Second Surgery
|Seven Second Surgery|
|Studio album by Faber Drive|
|Released||May 1, 2007 (Canada)
August 28, 2007 (United States)
|Genre||Alternative rock, pop punk, new wave|
Chad Kroeger (add.)
|Faber Drive chronology|
|Singles from Seven Second Surgery|
Seven Second Surgery is the debut album by Canadian pop punk band Faber Drive. It was released on May 1, 2007 under 604 Records. The songs "24 Story Love Affair" and "Sex and Love" from the band's previous EP Faber were also added to the album. Seven Second Surgery garnered positive reviews from critics praising the production and the band's musicianship but questioned their longevity in an over-crowded market. The album spawned four singles: "Second Chance", "Tongue Tied", "When I'm with You", and "Sleepless Nights (Never Let Her Go)".
Seven Second Surgery received positive reviews from music critics praising the production and musicianship from both the producers and the band but were unsure of how they would last long-term. Jo-Ann Greene of AllMusic gave high praise to the album's well-crafted production and the band's musicianship for paying nods to their musical influences while delivering them with tenacious energy, concluding with, "Powerful playing, strong melodies, irrepressible choruses, and a stunning sound belie this album's title – with no quick fix to be found, this set was lovingly operated on over time and built to last." A writer from Alternative Addiction also gave praise to the production and lyrical work of Brian Howes mixing well with the band in a pop punk environment, despite some surface-only lyrics and stale genre material towards the end, calling the album "a sensational collection of bubble gum pop tunes that become instantly embedded in the brain, however band longevity means song longevity and with the next album the band should look to evolve into something a little less instant and with a clear plan to leave a longer lasting taste on the aural palate."
A writer from TuneLab praised the album's collection of pop rock lyrics with various emotions being delivered by a capable and talented band but felt the material was more Kroeger and Howes with the band included and it was interchangeable with other similar albums, concluding that "Seven Second Surgery may not be groundbreaking, earth shattering, or for that matter original, but it is not a shitty album on the whole. In order to enjoy the album, one must bury the fact that this is stereotypical radio rock and just enjoy the album for what it is-fun, upbeat, catchy, and a quick fix." Chris Fallon of AbsolutePunk commended the band's effort to deliver upbeat and catchy pop punk material but found the lyrics generic and the catchability in the hooks and melodies lacking in staying power like the rest of the album, concluding that, "We all enjoy candy every now and then, and that is exactly what Faber Drive's Seven Second Surgery is: a roll of Shock Tarts that leaves your tastebuds on high-alert and keeps your mind buzzing, but eventually, drains you and leaves you feeling vacant."
All tracks written by Faber Drive and Brian Howes, except where noted.
|1.||"24 Story Love Affair"||3:37|
|2.||"Tongue Tied" (Faber Drive, Brian Howes, Chad Kroeger)||3:30|
|3.||"Second Chance" (Faber Drive, Howes, Kroeger)||3:42|
|4.||"Sex and Love"||3:00|
|5.||"Sleepless Nights (Never Let Her Go)"||3:25|
|7.||"When I'm with You"||3:41|
|8.||"Summer Fades to Fall"||3:21|
|11.||"You'll Make It"||3:44|
- Bonus track
Found in limited quantities of the album with free Faber Drive Tunecardz featuring this song.
Adapted from the Seven Second Surgery media notes.
- Faber Drive
- Faber – Lead Vox/Guitar
- David Joshua Hinsley – Guitar/Vox
- Krikit – Bass/Vox
- Red Bull – Drums/Vox
- Additional musicians
- Brian Howes
- Daniel Adair
- Robin Diaz
- Pat Steward
- Lance LaPointe
- Tommy Walter
- Mile Foxx Hill
- Ryan Van Poederooyen
- Brian Howes – Producer (Mountainview Studios, Abbotsford B.C.)
- Joey Moi – Engineering, Mixing (Mountainview Studios, Abbotsford B.C.), Producer
- Scott Cooke (Scotty Win) – Assistant, Digital Editing
- Jay Van Poederooyen – Digital Editing
- Ryan Anderson, Alex Aligizakis – Additional Editing and Assisting
- Ted Jensen – Mastering
- Jaclyn Roste – Runner
- Chad Kroeger – Additional Production
- Kevin "Chief" Zaruk – Management
- Chris Taylor – Legal (TMB)
- Janice Staub – Business Management (Yaletown Financial)
- Tom MacKay – A&R (Universal Republic)
- Chad Kroeger / Jonathan Simkin – A&R (604 Records)
- Sandy Brummels – Creative Director
- Christopher Kornmann – Art Direction & Design (Spit and Image)
- Doug Cunningham – Cover Illustration (Morning Breath)
- Marina Chavez – Photography
- Jon Minson – Logo
- Paul and Isabelle – Styling
- Greg Sowders – Publishing (Warner Chappell Music, Riis Pafa Publishing Inc., Red Worm Publishing Inc., Jerminy Krikit Publishing Inc., Purrfuct Pitch Publishing Inc.)
- Jeff Craib – Booking (SL Feldman and Associates, Canada)
- Ken Fermaglich – Booking (The Agency Group, North America and beyond)
- BMI Tracie Verlinde – Booking
- Fallon, Chris. "Faber Drive - Seven Second Surgery - Album Review". AbsolutePunk. Archived from the original on October 20, 2012. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- Greene, Jo-Ann. "Seven Second Surgery - Faber Drive". AllMusic. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- "Review of "Seven Second Surgery" by Faber Drive". Alternative Addiction. June 24, 2007. Archived from the original on July 7, 2014. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- "Faber Drive - 'Seven Second Surgery'". TuneLab. November 2, 2007. Archived from the original on February 18, 2012. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- Seven Second Surgery (media notes). Faber Drive. 604. Universal Music Canada. 2007.