Seventh-day Adventist education
|General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
The Seventh-day Adventist educational system is part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and is overseen by the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists located in Silver Spring, Maryland. The educational system is a Christian school-based system.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church associated with a total of 8,515 educational institutions operating in over 100 countries around the world with over 1.95 million students worldwide. The association of related educators published the Journal of Adventist Education, a magazine that focuses on seventh day adventist curriculum and teaching.
Mental, physical, social, and spiritual health, intellectual growth, and service to humanity form a core of values that are essential aspects of the Adventist education philosophy.
Education by level
There are 5,915 Primary Schools worldwide (June 2018 report). Enrollment: over 1.2 million students.
There are more than 2,435 Secondary Schools worldwide (June 2018 report). Enrollment: More than 603,000 students.
The Adventist Church, usually through Union-level administrative units, is associated with a number of post secondary educational institutions around the world that include:
- language schools
- Worker-training institutes (ministers, teachers, Bible workers)
- Junior Colleges (2-year programs)
- four-year liberal-arts colleges
- full universities offering education up to doctorate level
- healthcare-focused schools, often associated with Adventist hospitals
- medical schools
Number of Tertiary Institutions (worldwide): 115. Enrollment (worldwide): more than 145,000.
Education by area
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist colleges and universities
- List of Seventh-day Adventist hospitals
- List of Seventh-day Adventist medical schools
- Alita Byrd, "The Changing Landscape of Adventist Higher Education in North America". Spectrum 37 (Spring 2009), p37–50
- Steve Daily, "My Dream for Adventist Higher Education". Adventist Today 8 (Jan–Feb 2000), p18–19
- "Is the end near? A look at Seventh-day adventists". ebscohost.com.
- The Christian Science Monitor. "For real education reform, take a cue from the Adventists". The Christian Science Monitor.
- "Department of Education :: Seventh-day Adventist Church". adventist.org.
- Education on the church's official website
- Seventh-day Adventist Church Depart of Education official website
- A Statement on Theological and Academic Freedom and Accountability, voted in 1987
- "For real education reform, take a cue from the Adventists" by Elissa Kido. The Christian Science Monitor, November 15, 2010