Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
|"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"|
|Song by Pink Floyd from the album Ummagumma|
|Published||Lupus Music Ltd.|
|Released||25 October 1969 (UK)
10 November 1969 (US)
|Recorded||2 May 1969|
|Genre||Musique concrète, avant-garde|
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" is a track written and performed by Roger Waters from the two-part 1969 Pink Floyd album, Ummagumma.
Sounds and recording
The track consists of several minutes of noises resembling rodents and birds simulated by Waters' voice and other techniques, such as tapping the microphone played at different speeds, followed by Ron Geesin providing a few stanzas of spoken word in an exaggerated Scottish burr.
There is a hidden message in the song at approximately 4:32. If played at half speed, Waters can be heard to say, "That was pretty avant-garde, wasn't it?" ( sample (help·info)). Also, at the very end of the rant, Waters is heard to say, "Thank you."
A small sample of these effects can also be heard at approximately 4:48 on Waters' other track on Ummagumma; Grantchester Meadows.
"It's not actually anything, it's a bit of concrete poetry. Those were sounds that I made, the voice and the hand slapping were all human generated - no musical instruments."— Roger Waters, University of Regina Carillon Interview, October 1970
The bulk of the song consists of a variety of tape loops stuck together in different speeds and directions.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
The title of the Man or Astro-man? song "Many Pieces of Large Fuzzy Mammals Gathered Together at a Rave and Schmoozing with a Brick" is based on this song.
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. p. 28. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- Manning, Toby (2006). "The Albums". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 161. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- Mason, Stewart. "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict – Pink Floyd". Rovi Corporation. Allmusic. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- From Abracadabra to Zombies, The Skeptic's Dictionary.
- University of Regina Carillon Interview, Pink-Floyd.org.