Severnaya Verf (Northern Shipyard) is a shipyard in Saint Petersburg, Russia and a major shipyard producing both naval and civilian ships. It was originally founded for exclusive military shipbuilding.
The shipyard was formerly known as Soviet Shipyard No. 190, and between 1935–1989 as Zhdanov Shipyard.
The priority market for Severnaya shipyard is military export to Asian countries as India, China and Vietnam.
The shipyard was originally established in the early 1900s as the Severnaya Verf (Severny shipyard) which is part of the Severnaya Verf Production Association. This association also includes an electrodes factory with a capacity of 20,000 tons annually and a furniture factory.
Under the name Zhdanov Shipyard, various classes of destroyers and ASW frigates were built here to include:
- Late 1940s, the Skoryy class destroyer
- During the 1950s, the Kotlin class destroyer
- Late 1950s, the Kanin class destroyer and the modified Kildin class guided missile destroyer
- During the 1960s, the Kashin class guided missile destroyer and Kynda and Kresta I class cruiser
- During the 1970s, the Krivak class frigate and Kresta II class cruiser
- Late 1970s, the Sovremenny class destroyer
- Early 1980s, the Udaloy class destroyer
- During 2000s, the Steregushchy class corvette
- During 2010s, the Admiral Sergey Gorshkov class frigate 
Facilities and Services
As of 1998, the shipyard includes:
- four slips in covered-in-births with the capacity to construct vessels with a maximum length of 170 meters (560 ft) and width of up to 20.5 meters (67 ft). Slipways are equipped with cranes with a lifting capacity of 50 tons;
- four open-air slipways with the capacity to construct vessels with a maximum length of 170 meters (560 ft) and width of 24 meters (79 ft), and are equipped with cranes with a lifting capacity from 30 to 100 tons;
- launch-hoisting facilities with floating dock that has a lifting capacity of 10,000 tons and a transborder, which is able to launch and hoist vessels from and to any slipway.
Notable Classes and Vessels
|Steregushchy class||2001-present||4 (completed) (2 more under construction)||Corvette|
|Admiral Gorshkov class||2006-present||1 (completed), 2 (under construction), 20 (planned)||Frigate|
|Gremyashchy class||2012-present||2 (under construction)||Corvette|
- List of ships of Russia by project number
- List of Soviet and Russian submarine classes
- Admiralty Shipyard
- Baltic Shipyard
- Severnaya Verf, Federation of American Scientists, Retrieved 6/10/2008
- Official site
- "Naval Construction Programs 1995". Robin J. Lee, State of the Russian Navy. 1995. Retrieved 2008-06-10.
- "Severnaya Verf". Federation of American Scientists. 1998. Retrieved 2008-06-10.
|This Saint Petersburg-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|