Sevran town hall in 2007
Paris and inner ring departments
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Stéphane Gatignon|
|Area1||7.28 km2 (2.81 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,800/km2 (18,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||93071 /93270|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
As of 2013 the origins of over half of its resident are from outside France. The largest ethnic backgrounds within the foreign origins are from sub-Saharan Africa, Algeria, and Morocco.
In 2013 The Economist stated that Sevran was one of the poorest areas of the Paris Metropolitan Area. As of 2013 36% of the residents are considered to be below the poverty line. The national average is 12%. About 75% of Sevran's residents live in subsidized housing. The article also cites research that says "somebody called Mohamed, Ali or Kamel is four times more likely to be unemployed than somebody named Philippe or Alain."
Sevran is home to an important music and dance school, the Espace François Mauriac, also known as the conservatoire de Sevran. Many important French and international musicians have taught there, including Claude Ballif, Allain Gaussin and Vincent Decleire. The French famous rapper Kaaris is also from Sevran, born to parents from Côte d'Ivoire.
|The arms of Sevran are blazoned :
Azure, a bend argent between 3 acorns and 2 eagle talons Or, on a chief azure, 3 fleurs de lys Or surmounted by a label argent.
- 15 public preschools (maternelles):
- 16 public primary schools:
- 1 private preschool: École maternelle Sainte-Agnès/École élémentaire Sainte-Agnès
- Junior high schools: Collège Evariste Galois, Collège Georges Brassens, Collège Paul Painlevé, and Collège La Pléïade
- Senior high school/sixth-form college: Lycée Blaise Cendrars
- "France’s troubled suburbs: Forgotten in the banlieues." The Economist. 23 February 2013. Retrieved on 3 March 2014.
- "Ecoles maternelles." Sevran. Retrieved on September 8, 2016.
- "Ecoles élémentaires." Sevran. Retrieved on September 8, 2016.
- "Enseignement secondaire." Sevran. Retrieved on September 8, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sevran.|
|This Seine-Saint-Denis geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|