Sewall's Point, Florida
Sewall's Point, Florida
|• Total||4.14 sq mi (10.72 km2)|
|• Land||1.19 sq mi (3.07 km2)|
|• Water||2.96 sq mi (7.65 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,839.66/sq mi (710.49/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0290880|
Sewall's Point is a town located on the peninsula of the same name in Martin County, Florida, United States. The population was 1,999 at the 2010 census. As of 2013, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau was 2,078. Both the town and the peninsula are named for Capt. Henry Edwin Sewall (August 22, 1848 – August 1, 1925). It is an eastern suburb of the county seat of Stuart.
Sewall's Point is located at  It is bordered by water on the south, east, and west due to its peninsula shape of the entire town. On the south and west is the St. Lucie River and to the east is the Indian River Lagoon. On the north it is bordered by unincorporated Jensen Beach(27.195,-80.198).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.1 square miles (11 km2), of which 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2) is land and 2.9 square miles (7.5 km2) (70.05%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,999 people, 758 households, and 607 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,578.1 people per square mile (610.9/km²). There were 828 housing units at an average density of 671.5 per square mile (259.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.72% White, 0.41% African American, 0.41% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.39% of the population.
There were 758 households out of which 33.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.4% were married couples living together, 4.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.8% were non-families. 15.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 2.9% from 18 to 24, 19.9% from 25 to 44, 33.0% from 45 to 64, and 19.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $97,517, and the median income for a family was $104,893. Males had a median income of $82,748 versus $32,500 for females. The per capita income for the town was $55,121. About 4.6% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.5% of those under age 18 and 3.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Tori Amos, singer/pianist
- Vaughn Monroe, baritone singer, trumpeter and big band leader and actor, lived in Sewall's Point
- Willie Gary, attorney, lives in Sewall's Point and has on office in Stuart.
- James F. Hutchinson, fine arts painter since 1948, Florida Hall of Fame, home/studio in Sewall's Point
- Capt. Henry E. Sewall House, built at the tip of Sewall's Point in 1889, moved in 1910 to Port Sewall, now located in Indian RiverSide Park
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 7, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Town of Sewall's Point history
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Town of Sewall's Point official site