Sex: The Annabel Chong Story
The film profiles porn star Annabel Chong (born Grace Quek), a gender studies student at the University of Southern California, who was also an adult actress who was famous for setting a world gang bang record in January 1995. A video of this event was released under the title The World's Biggest Gang Bang.
The documentary explores all the worlds that have touched Quek, presenting the pieces of her life as a student in Los Angeles, California and London, her native Singapore, and in the porn industry. It focuses on her reasons for working in porn, and her relationship with friends and family.
The documentary reveals to the viewers that she was gang raped as a student living in London and describes her many complex emotional issues, including signs of depression, self-harm, and substance abuse. The film also includes footage of a painful conversation in Singapore between Annabel and her mother, who, until then, didn't know about her daughter's porn career.
The film's North American release was halted or minimized as a result of a court case in the Superior Court of Canada instigated by David Whitten, a B-movie distributor. Whitten was legally extracted from the project and his junior producer credit removed.
In the Guardian, Jonathan Romney (2000) wrote, "Quek's refusal to cohere as a subject is contingent on the fact that there's apparently no one looking at her: director Lewis is curiously absent, as either a character or as an invisible shaping intelligence. But he apparently was a character in her story: in interviews, Quek has denounced him for failing to reveal that he was her lover for a year during the making of Sex, something the film never even implies. That omission contributes to making the film incomplete, if not actually dishonest."
- "Kelly A. Morris". IMDb. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Sex sobers in controversial Sundance documentary". CNN. February 10, 1999. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Sex: The Annabel Chong Story (review)". flickfilosopher.com. 13 February 2000. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Sex: The Annabel Chong Story". Top Documentary Films. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- Moviemaker.com Straight From the Horse's Mouth: How To Avoid Distribution Hell by Keith Bearden Archived 2006-03-24 at the Wayback Machine.