Sex & Religion
|Sex & Religion|
|Studio album by Vai|
|Released||July 27, 1993|
|Recorded||The Mothership Studio in Hollywood Hills|
|Genre||Heavy metal, hard rock, instrumental rock|
|Steve Vai chronology|
|Singles from Sex & Religion|
Sex & Religion is a studio album by guitarist Steve Vai, released under the band name "Vai" on July 23, 1993 through Relativity Records. The album features future Devin Townsend Project singer and guitarist Devin Townsend on vocals. Townsend also co-wrote the tracks "Pig" and "Just Cartilage", the latter of which was only released as a bonus track in Japan. Vai also co-wrote "In My Dreams with You" with Desmond Child and Roger Greenawalt.
Sex & Religion reached No. 48 on the U.S. Billboard 200 as well as charting within the top 60 in four other countries. "In My Dreams with You" was released as a single, reaching No. 36 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart.
The album's cover art appears to be a reference to the famous artistic depictions of Saint Sebastian.
Background and conflict
For Sex & Religion, Vai wished to put together a band of "monster musicians" which included him, Townsend, drummer and fellow Frank Zappa alumnus Terry Bozzio, and bassist T. M. Stevens. It was originally intended for each musician to contribute ideas and play a large role in the creative process, but Vai ended up micro-managing the whole project, which caused much conflict during the making of the album. As Vai explains, there was heavy expectation to make another album in the style of Passion and Warfare (1990), but he instead made the decision to go in a radically different direction, which confounded many fans and critics. The band split up after the album was finished, and Vai subsequently toured only with Townsend and several session drummers and bassists.
Stephen Thomas Erlewine at AllMusic gave Sex & Religion two stars out of five, calling it "the most predictable and conventional—not to mention boring—[album] of Vai's usually remarkable career" and criticizing the band as being "pedestrian".
All songs written and composed by Steve Vai, except where noted.
|1.||"An Earth Dweller's Return"||1:04|
|2.||"Here & Now"||4:47|
|3.||"In My Dreams With You" (Vai, Desmond Child, Roger Greenawalt)||5:01|
|4.||"Still My Bleeding Heart"||6:00|
|5.||"Sex & Religion"||4:24|
|6.||"Dirty Black Hole"||4:27|
|8.||"State of Grace"||1:41|
|10.||"Pig" (Vai, Devin Townsend)||3:36|
|11.||"The Road to Mt. Calvary"||2:35|
|12.||"Down Deep into the Pain"||8:01|
|13.||"Rescue Me or Bury Me"||8:25|
|Japanese edition bonus track|
|14.||"Just Cartilage" (Vai, Townsend)||4:19|
- Steve Vai – guitar, vocals, arrangement, engineering, production
- Devin Townsend – lead vocals
- Terry Bozzio – drums
- T. M. Stevens – bass
- Kane Roberts – background vocals
- Bernie Grundman – mastering
|1993||Dutch albums chart||26|
|Swiss albums chart||26|
|Swedish albums chart||41|
|German albums chart||53|
|1993||"In My Dreams with You"||Billboard Mainstream Rock||36|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||500,000|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Sex & Religion - Steve Vai". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- "Sex & Religion - Steve Vai | Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- "Steve Vai - Sex & Religion (album)". finnishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- "Sex & Religion (1993)". vai.com. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- "BPI Gold Sales Award – Sex & Religion". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Nielsen Gold Sales Award – Sex & Religion". Nielsen SoundScan. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Platinum Sales Award – Sex & Religion". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- In Review: Vai "Sex & Religion" at Guitar Nine Records