Sex (Tila Tequila EP)
|Released||March 20, 2007|
|Label||The Saturday Team|
|Tila Tequila chronology|
Sex is the debut studio EP by American recording artist Tila Tequila. It was released on March 20, 2007 by the Washington-based label The Saturday Team. Released shortly after her debut single, "I Love U", the EP was allegedly not authorized for release by Tequila, which led The Saturday Team and distributor Icon Music Entertainment Services to sue her over breaching her contract related to the album. The Saturday Team won the legal case and made Sex available for digital download on September 22, 2008 via iTunes Store.
Sex is an electronic pop rock record, which also contains elements of other genres such as punk rock, new wave and classical music. Tequila wrote most of the songs from the perspective of her alter ego Jane.
The EP opens with a new-age world music introduction which transitions into an electric guitar instrumental. The second track, "Sex", is an electronic rock song with elements of classical music. "Little Brat" is a punk rock new wave song. Lyrically, it is about "a little rich girl that lives off her daddy's money". The fourth song, "Rat Room", is about fighting with her alter ego Jane, who wants to "destroy everything she has made". Tequila sings: "Eyes shut she just won't go away/Get help that's what my friends would say/But I can't I will just let her be/Because Jane is actually only me".
Upon its release, Sex received mixed to negative reviews from critics. Stephen Thomas Erlewine at AllMusic gave it only one star out of five, mostly criticizing its production. He remarked that "she's not trashy enough to be a guilty pleasure and she's not bad enough to be memorable, she's just boring".
|6.||"Lipstick Flavored Cherries"||3:49|
Credits and personnel
- Tila Tequila – vocals, songwriter
- Claire Ejanda – artwork
- Misha – photography
|United States||March 20, 2007||CD||The Saturday Team|||
|September 22, 2008||Digital download|
|Worldwide||April 29, 2014|||
- MusicBlob (July 27, 2007). "What happened to Tila Tequila?". MusicBlob. Archived from the original on September 2, 2007. Retrieved July 27, 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (March 20, 2007). "Sex - Tila Tequila". AllMusic. Retrieved September 17, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sex - Tila Tequila". US: AOL Music. March 20, 2007. Archived from the original on December 12, 2007. Retrieved September 17, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Sex E.P. by Tila Tequila". US: iTunes Store. April 29, 2014. Retrieved September 17, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)