Artwork for the cover of Sex Criminals #1 Art by Chip Zdarsky.
|Publication date||September 2013 – present|
|No. of issues||25|
|Written by||Matt Fraction|
Sex Criminals is an ongoing, monthly comic book published by American company Image Comics. It is written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Chip Zdarsky. The first issue was published September 25, 2013 and the series received positive reviews.
Sex Criminals was nominated for two Eisner Awards in 2014 including Best Continuing Series and won Best New Series. On February 25, 2015, it was announced that Matt Fraction made a deal with Universal TV to turn Sex Criminals into a television show.
Suzie, a librarian, and Jon, an actor, meet at a party and, after sleeping together, they discover that they share the ability to freeze time when they orgasm. As their relationship develops and their sexual histories are explored, they decide to rob the bank where Jon works in order to save Suzie's endangered library.
In March 2013, Image Comics announced a sex comedy during the Emerald City Comicon. Later reports confirmed that it was intended for mature readers and would have Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky in the forefront. Films like The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Bridesmaids, and Jackass: The Movie were mentioned as touchstones for the comics, and Fraction himself confirmed in an interview that the works of Billy Wilder also inspired him deeply in writing.
Fraction and Zdarsky had known each other for a short time before the book's creation. They communicated almost exclusively online and Zdarsky was the first to suggest a collaboration. Initially, Zdarsky wanted to write a book that was their take on fantasy, as neither was a big fan of the genre. Fraction responded with another idea, suggesting, "[W]hat if we do a sex comedy about a guy, who every time he ejaculates, stops time?" Zdarsky was tired from a business trip he was on and agreed to the idea without much thought. After continued communication, their idea began to grow until the book was published in September 2013. The book has gained a cult following and its fans refer to themselves as 'brimpers' after a sex position described in the first issue.
IGN tagged the work as "amazing", and said that the story is "so addictive, you'll find yourself staring at the last page in horror when you realize you'll have to wait another month to find out what happens next".
Paste called the first issue "splendid", with "an immediately likable character", specifying that although one "wouldn’t trust most comic creators to turn a sexual awakening into compelling pulp fiction (...) Fraction and Zdarsky pull it off masterfully."
WhatCulture.com called Sex Criminals a "masterpiece", with "an adorable cast, virtuoso writing and stunning art," and Sciencefiction.com called it "entertaining", "witty", and "very fun", while emphasizing that the sexual content is "tastefully presented."
Trade paperback releases
|Title||Material collected||Publication date||Diamond ID|
|Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick||Sex Criminals #1–5||April 2014||JAN140558|
|Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds One Cop||Sex Criminals #6–10||February 2015||OCT140654|
|Sex Criminals, Vol. 3: Three The Hard Way||Sex Criminals #11–15||June 2016||OCT150608|
|Sex Criminals, Vol. 4: Fourgy!||Sex Criminals #16–20||September 2017||JUL170876|
|Sex Criminals, Vol. 5: Five-Fingered Discount||Sex Criminals #21–25||August 8, 2018||JUN180239|
|Sex Criminals, Vol. 6: Six Criminals||Sex Criminals #26-30, 69||December 29, 2020||To be confirmed|
|Title||Material collected||Publication date||Diamond ID|
|Big Hard Sex Criminals||Sex Criminals #1–10||March 2015||NOV140582|
|Big Hard Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Deluxxxe||Sex Criminals #11–20||January 2018||NOV170713|
- Butcher, Christopher (September 6, 2013). "SEX CRIMINALS #1 – A Comic Book Launch Party". The Beguiling Books & Arts. Retrieved February 4, 2016.
- "2014 Will Eisner Awards Announced". Comics Alliance. April 15, 2014. Archived from the original on October 31, 2014. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "Sex Criminals Comic Possibly Coming to Television". Renegade Cinema. February 25, 2015. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK: Fraction & Zdarsky's "Sex Criminals"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Matt Fraction Gets Cheeky With "Sex Criminals"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Chip Zdarsky On 'Sex Criminals': The Comics Alliance Interview". Comics Alliance. Archived from the original on February 23, 2015. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- "Sex Criminals: 15 Most Tongue In Cheek Moments". Comic Book Resources. February 17, 2017. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Wolk, Douglas (December 4, 2013). "Top 10 Comics and Graphic Novels". Time.
- Melissa Grey 23 Oct 2013 (2013-10-23). "Sex Criminals #2 Review". IGN. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- Martin, Garrett. "Sex Criminals #1 by Matt Fraction & Chip Zdarsky :: Books :: Reviews :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- "Sex Criminals #1 Review – Matt Fraction And Chip Zdarsky". Whatculture.com. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- "Comic Book Review: 'Sex Criminals' #2". ScienceFiction.com. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- Walter, Damien (April 6, 2015). "Are the Hugo nominees really the best sci-fi books of the year?". The Guardian. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "Sex Criminals, Vol. 1 TP: One Weird Trick". Image Comics.
- "Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds One Cop". Image Comics.
- "Sex Criminals Vol 3: Three The Hard Way". Image Comics.
- "Sex Criminals Vol 4: Fourgy!". Image Comics.
- "Sex Criminals Vol 5: Five-Fingered Discount". Image Comics.
- "Sex Criminals Vol 6: Six Criminals". Book Depository. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Big Hard Sex Criminals". Image Comics.
- "Big Hard Sex Criminals Vol. 2: Deluxxxe". Image Comics.
- Sex Criminals at Image Comics
- DAN CASEY (August 5, 2013). "Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky are "Sex Criminals"". Nerdist.
- Matt D. Wilson (August 28, 2013). "A Proper Sex Comedy: Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky Talk 'Sex Criminals'". Comics Alliance. Archived from the original on September 1, 2013.