Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man
Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man is a comedy based on the book by Dan Anderson and Maggie Berman of the same name. Written and produced by Matt Murphy and directed by Tim Drucker it is an interactive off-Broadway show centered on three characters; Dan, the gay man, Robyn, the straight woman and Stefan, the seductive model.
In the play, Robyn is the moderator for this month's book forum at Rendezvous with Alternative Authors of the Modern Era (RAAME, pronounced "ram me"). This month RAAME is featuring Dan Anderson the author of Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man. Using the tips from his book Dan attempts to open Robyn up sexually and finally realize her feelings for her hunky stage assistant Stefan. Sex Tips opened in February 2014 at 777 Theatre. It starred Lindsay Nicole Chambers as Robyn and Jason Michael Snow as Dan and Andrew Brewer as Stefan. After a four-and-a-half year run, Murphy released a statement announcing the end of the show's New York City run, with the last performance on June 22 of 2018.
In 2017, the show secured a residency at the Anthony Cools Theatre inside Paris Las Vegas starring former television personality Kendra Wilkinson as Robyn. In 2018, Scheana Shay took on the role. In June 2019, MaKenzie Fly, a Vegas entertainer and yoga instructor, was cast as Robyn alongside husband Colin Cahill as Stefan and Mark Melton as Dan Anderson, who had been cast months prior. Shyllon Melatti took on the role of Stefan shortly after, and in September 2019, Louis D'Aprile was cast as the new Dan Anderson.
Reviews have been generally positive with Kristin Morale from BroadwayWorld saying "…that one sentence makes up the command of "GO AND SEE IT FOR THE LIFE OF YOU," Pete Hampstead from TheatreMania said, "Even if you don't take any of its erogenous advice, Sex Tips is one of the best date-night shows you'll see this year." Anita Gates of The New York Times dissented, saying the production "feels like a blend of a bachelorette party at Chippendales and the embarrassing midnight act at a Pigalle tourist trap." Finally, The Knot listed it as one of their "6 Raunchy Comedy Shows Worthy Of A Bachelorette Party".
- Gates, Anita (February 13, 2014). "Highlights From the Owner's Manual". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Murphy, T. Michelle (February 23, 2014). "Tips for seeing Sex Tips for a Straight Woman from a Gay Man". Metro International. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Clement, Olivia (10 May 2018). "Sex Tips for Straight Women From a Gay Man to Close Off-Broadway". Playnill.com. Playbill, Inc. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- Kendra Wilkinson Announces Sex Tips Vegas Show!, retrieved 2019-10-09
- "Scheana Shay Is Taking on a Sexy New Role Previously Held by Kendra Wilkinson". Bravo TV Official Site. 2018-01-02. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Adult Show, Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man at Paris Las Vegas Hotel and Casino Will Have You Howling!". CYInterview. 2019-06-24. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man". www.caesars.com. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Meet the Cast". www.sextipsvegas.com. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- Novak, Author Sam (2019-09-11). "'SEX TIPS' HEATS UP WITH THE ADDITION OF NEW STARS". VEGAS Unfiltered by Sam Novak. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "Shyllon Melatti". VEGAS Unfiltered by Sam Novak. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- Morale, Kristen (February 7, 2014). "BWW Reviews: I've Finally Got A Good Grasp of This". Broadway World. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Sex Tips for Straight Women From a Gay Man - Reviews - Feb 9, 2014". Theatermania.com. 2014-02-09. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Clegg, Bridget. "6 Raunchy Comedy Shows Worthy Of A Bachelorette Party - The Knot Blog". Blog.theknot.com. Retrieved 2014-06-11.