|Town of Sexsmith|
Train station and two of seven elevators that stood in Sexsmith.
Grain capital of the British Empire
|Municipal district||County of Grande Prairie No. 1|
|• Village||April 12, 1929|
|• Town||October 15, 1979|
|• Mayor||Kate Potter|
|• Governing body||Sexsmith Town Council|
|• Land||13.24 km2 (5.11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||724 m (2,375 ft)|
|• Density||197.9/km2 (513/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|Postal code span|
Sexsmith is located in the Peace River Country region of Alberta, one of the most fertile growing areas in the province. The town was once known as the "grain capital of the British Empire": In a 10-year period from 1939 to 1949, it shipped more grain than any other port in the empire.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Sexsmith recorded a population of 2,620 living in 873 of its 937 total private dwellings, a change of 8.4% from its 2011 population of 2,418. With a land area of 13.24 km2 (5.11 sq mi), it had a population density of 197.9/km2 ( 512.5/sq mi) in 2016.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Sexsmith had a population of 2,418 living in 807 of its 848 total dwellings, a change of 22.8% from its 2006 adjusted population of 1,969. With a land area of 13.43 km2 (5.19 sq mi), it had a population density of 180.0/km2 ( 466.3/sq mi) in 2011.
The population of the Town of Sexsmith according to its 2007 municipal census was 2,255.
Below is a summary of Sexsmith's population growth since 1996.
|Sexsmith Vipers||Ice Hockey||Sexsmith Arena|
|Sexsmith Skating Club||NWJHL]]||Figure skating||Sexsmith Arena|
Sexsmith has three schools:
- Robert W. Zahara Public School
- Sexsmith Secondary School
- St. Mary's Catholic School
Sexsmith is also the home of a post-secondary institution:
- "Location and History Profile: Town of Sexsmith" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. October 7, 2016. p. 555. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF) (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs (2009-09-15). "Alberta 2009 Official Population List" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Statistics Canada. "Canada 2006 Census: Sexsmith - Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Statistics Canada (2007-02-01). "2001 Community Profiles – Sexsmith (Town)". Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- "Encana Corporation (ECA.TO)". Reuters. n.d. Retrieved 23 January 2015.