Sexton Blake (TV series)
|No. of episodes||50 episodes|
|Running time||30 Minutes|
|Original release||1967 – 1971|
ITV aired Thames Television's Sexton Blake starring Laurence Payne as Blake and Roger Foss as Tinker from Monday 25 September 1967 to Wednesday 13 January 1971. In keeping with Sexton Blake's classic print adventures, Payne's Blake drove a white Rolls-Royce named "The Grey Panther" and owned a bloodhound named Pedro. The show was originally produced by Ronald Marriott for Associated Rediffusion, with Thames Television taking over production in 1968.
Pedro was played by one or more bloodhounds (bitches), which doubled as 'Henry', for Chunky dog food adverts with Clement Freud, and were owned by the then secretary of the Bloodhound Club, Mrs Bobbie Edwards.
During rehearsals for the show in 1968, Laurence Payne was blinded in his left eye by a rapier.
Typical of the TV show's sometimes-fantastic storylines (all of which lasted 2–6 episodes) was 1968's "The Invicta Ray" in which a villain dressed in a costume and hood of sackcloth-like material and, under the Invicta Ray, became invisible so that he could commit crimes without being seen.
Of 50 episodes, only the first episode is thought to still exist. This is available to watch on YouTube.
- Season One: The Find-The-Lady Affair. 4 episodes. Monday 25 September 1967 to Monday 16 October 1967.
- Season One: Knave of Diamonds. 5 episodes. Monday 23 October 1967 to Monday 20 November.
- Season One: The Great Tong Mystery. 4 episodes. Monday 27 November 1967 to Monday 18 December 1967.
- Season One: The Vanishing Snowman. Christmas Special. Monday 25 December 1967.
- Season One: House of Masks. 4 episodes. Monday 1 January 1968 to Monday 22 January 1968.
- Season One: The Invicta Ray. 4 episodes. Monday 29 January 1968 to Monday 19 February 1968.
- Season Two: The Case of the Gasping Goldfish. 2 episodes. Thursday 14 November 1968 to Thursday 21 November 1968.
- Season Two: Return of the Scorpion. 2 episodes. Thursday 28 November 1968 to Thursday 5 December 1968.
- Season Two: The Great Train Robbery. 2 episodes. Thurs 16 January 1969 to Thurs 23 January 1969.
- Season Two: The Great Soccer Mystery. 3 episodes. Thurs 30 January 1969 to Thurs 13 Feb 1969.
- Season Three: Sexton Blake and Captain Nemesis. 3 episodes. Wed 8 Oct 1969 to Wed 22 Oct 1969.
- Season Three: Sexton Blake versus The Gangsters. 3 episodes. Wed 29 Oct 1969 to Wed 12 Nov 1969.
- Season Three: Sexton Blake and the Frightened Man. 2 eps. Wed 19 Nov 1969 to Wed 26 Nov 1969.
- Season Three: Sexton Blake and the Undertaker. 3 episodes. Wed 3 Dec 1969 to Wed 17 Dec 1969.
- Season Three: Sexton Blake and the Toy Family. 2 episodes. Wed 23 Dec 1969 to Wed 30 Dec 1969.
- Season Four: Sexton Blake and the Puff Adder. 6 episodes. Wed 9 Dec 1970 to Wed 13 January 1971.
- Laurence Payne ... Sexton Blake
- Roger Foss ... Edward Clark 'Tinker'
- Dorothea Phillips ... Mrs. Bardell
- Meredith Edwards ... Inspector 'Taff' Evans
- Elizabeth Bell ... Julia Mangini
- Edward Jewesbury ... Dr. John Mangini
- Philippa Gail ... Carole Vane
- Charles Morgan ... Inspector Davies
- Eric Lander ... Inspector Cardfish
Sexton Blake and the Demon God (1978)
Simon Raven's Sexton Blake and the Demon God was a six-part television serial produced by Barry Letts for the BBC in 1978. The serial ran on BBC One at tea-time from Sunday 10 September 1978 until Sunday 15 October 1978 and was directed by Roger Tucker.
- Pitts, Michael R. (1979). Famous movie detectives. Scarecrow Press. p. 213.