Sexual abuse scandal in Bridgeport diocese
Supreme Court of Connecticut decision
In May 2009, a decision by the Connecticut Supreme Court ordered the release of thousands of legal documents from lawsuits filed against priests accused of sexually abusing children (George L. Rosado et al. v. Bridgeport Roman Catholic Diocesan Corporation et al., (SC 17807).
Archbishop Egan's legacy
In April 2002, in a letter read out at Mass, Cardinal Egan apologized saying,"If in hindsight we also discover that mistakes may have been made as regards prompt removal of priests and assistance to victims, I am deeply sorry." Ten years later, in February 2012, the retired cardinal retracted his apology. In an interview with Connecticut magazine he said, I never should have said that,” and, “I don’t think we did anything wrong.” He repeatedly denied any sexual abuse happened while he was leading Bridgeport's Diocese.
US Supreme Court decision
On October 5, 2009, the United States Supreme Court rejected a request by the diocese to stay the Connecticut Supreme Court decision. On Nov. 2, 2009 the United States Supreme Court decided  not to grant a writ of certiorari.
Bishop William E. Lori has opposed legislation by State Representative Michael P. Lawlor and State Senator Andrew J. McDonald that would remove control of the diocese from the bishop and place it into the hands of laymen. The legislation had been written with the help of liberal Catholics, including Connecticut attorney Thomas Gallagher, a contributor to the group Voice of the Faithful.
November 2009 hearings
The Connecticut Superior Court held hearings in November 2009 on procedures and privacy safeguards. The court ordered that the documents be released on Dec. 1, 2009, in CD form, to be given to the four newspapers—the Hartford Courant, the New York Times, Boston Globe and Washington Post—that had originally filed the lawsuit seeking to force the diocese to open the records to public inspection. The diocese has provided background and a statement on the suit and its status.
- Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People
- Essential Norms
- National Review Board
- Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors
- PDF document
- Bridgeport sex-abuse files should be released, court rules
- SCANDAL IN THE CHURCH: THE NEW YORK CARDINAL; Egan Says He May Have Mishandled Sex Abuse Cases, By Dean E Murphy, New York Times, April 21, 2002
- Cardinal Egan Criticized for Retracting Apology on Sexual Abuse CrisisBy Andy Newman, New York Times 7 February 2012
- Cardinal Egan: Ten Years After, by Tom Connor, Connecticut Magazine, February 2012
- Bridgeport Diocese Loses Bid to Keep Sex-Abuse Records Sealed
- Press Release: Bridgeport Diocese Responds To U.S. Supreme Court Statement
- Court still needs to weigh final angle of Bridgeport documents case
- Religious Freedom Under Attack in Connecticut
- Judge sets Dec. 1 for release of diocesan sex-abuse records
- Statement of the Diocese of Bridgeport
- Audits, Child And Youth Protection; US Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Charter For The Protection Of Children And Young People; US Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Child And Youth Protection; US Conference of Catholic Bishops
- National Review Board, Child And Youth Protection; US Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Safe Environment, Child And Youth Protection; US Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Victim Assistance, Child And Youth Protection; US Conference of Catholic Bishops