This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
UK 7" single
|Single by Prince and The New Power Generation|
|from the album Love Symbol|
|Released||June 30, 1992|
|Format||7" single, 12" single, picture disc, cassette single, CD single|
|Recorded||Paisley Park Studios, Early December 1991|
|Label||Paisley Park/Warner Bros.|
|Songwriter(s)||Prince, Levi Seacer, Jr., Tony M.|
|Prince and The New Power Generation singles chronology|
|Prince (UK) singles chronology|
"Sexy MF" is a song by Prince and The New Power Generation from their 1992 album Love Symbol. The song and its refrain "You sexy motherfucker" caused some controversy, and edited versions were produced for radio, the music video and the US version of the album.
The song was released as the first single from Love Symbol, with "Strollin'", from the previous year's Diamonds and Pearls, as a B-side. In the United Kingdom, the CD single also contained a third track, "Daddy Pop", also from Diamonds and Pearls.
"Sexy MF" was recorded in Paisley Park Studios' Studio A. The song is a merger of "old school" funk and modern R&B music. The song also carries a strong Hip-Hop influence in Prince's delivery of the lyrics. The song is built around the bass, drums and guitar. Added to this is a consistent electric rhythm guitar undertone and horn stabs from the NPG Hornz. Throughout the song, the horns are given the chance to shine, along with a sax solo from Brian Gallagher. Musical solos are also provided by Levi Seacer, Jr. (guitar) and Tommy Barbarella (organ) who Prince mentions in the song's lyrics ("Tommy Barbarella in the house", "Come here, Tommy. Yeah!", and "Levi... Levi... Fly"). The music and most of the lyrics were composed by Prince, while Seacer came up with the chorus and the song's title. Tony M. delivers a rap which he wrote. It has been covered by the Dave Matthews Band as an outro from their song "Jimi Thing".
While specific recording dates are not known, basic tracking took place in early December 1991, at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, MN, USA (during the same set of sessions that produced Love 2 The 9's, The Sacrifice Of Victor, The Morning Papers, Arrogance, and And God Created Woman). Sexy M.F. was placed as the opening track of the Symbol album for a while, until Prince later added the track My Name Is Prince, recorded a few months previously. It was included as the third track (second song) on the March 1992 and Summer 1992 configurations of the Symbol album, before the Album Intro segue was removed.
The song was released in an edited version in the US, where it peaked at number 66 on the Hot 100 chart and number 76 on the R&B chart. In the UK, the song sold significantly well, peaking at number 4.
The single was available in multiple formats, including a Love Symbol-shaped vinyl disc. It was also included on The Hits 2, which was also a part of The Hits/The B-Sides. In addition, the "My Name Is Prince" maxi single included a club mix of "Sexy MF".
Dave Matthews Band have been known to play a rendition of "Sexy MF" (specifically the "sexy motherfucker shakin' that ass" line) during live versions of their song "Jimi Thing", then in 2016, after Prince's death, began playing a shortened version of the actual song, segued from Jimi Thing.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||6|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||10|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||11|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||4|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||6|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||8|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||4|
|US Billboard Hot 100||66|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||76|
- Sexy M.F. Video Review, Entertainment Weekly, July 24, 1992
- "Australian-charts.com – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Austriancharts.at – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Ultratop.be – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Lescharts.com – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Charts.nz – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF". VG-lista. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF". Singles Top 100. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Swisscharts.com – Prince & The New Power Generation – Sexy MF". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Prince: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 2, 2016.