Seyed E. Hasnain
|Seyed Ehtesham Hasnain|
13 April 1954 |
|Institutions||IIT Delhi (2011 –|
|Alma mater||Jawaharlal Nehru University (PhD)|
|Doctoral students||Akash Ranjan, Saman Habib Sharmistha Banerjee, M Krishnaveni, Sudip Ghosh, Smanla Tundup, Yusuf Akhter etc.|
|Notable awards||G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research 2001
Om Prakash Bhasin Award
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize
Ranbaxy Research Award
Seyed Ehtesham Hasnain is Distinguished Professor of Biological Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, an academician, science policy advisor and institution builder based in Delhi, India.
Hasnain spent several years at the Texas A&M University, USA and returned to India in 1987 to work as a Staff Scientist at the National Institute of Immunology. Hasnain was appointed as the first director of Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) in February 1999. He was appointed Vice-Chancellor of University of Hyderabad in December 2005.
Honours and awards
An Honorary Professor at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, he has been nominated by the Prime Minister of India for the Membership of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (SAC-PM), the highest decision and policy making body for Science & Technology for the country. A former member of the Science and Engineering Research Coouncil (SERC) of the DST, he is the recipient of several national and international awards which include Dr Nityanand Endowment Lecture for Biomedical Research, Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Award, Goyal Award, G D Birla Award, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, Golden Jubilee Biotechnology Fellowship Award, Ranbaxy Research Award and several others.
Hasnain has been an Elected Fellow of the German Academy of Sciences – Leopoldina (Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina).
Hasnain has been associated with the Editorial Boards of several peer reviewed journals in India and abroad. He has also been associated with the Boards of Governors/Scientific Advisory Committees/Academic Councils of several National Institutes. Some of these are Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Bose Institute, Calcutta, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, Tata Memorial Centre (TMC) and Cancer Research Institute (CRI), Mumbai, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, Sir Dorabji Tata Centre for Tropical Diseases, Bangalore, Centre for Molecular Medicine, JNU, New Delhi, Central JALMA Research Institute of Leprosy, Agra, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB), Kolkata, Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow, Centre for Human Genetics, IISc, Bangalore, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, Delhi, Indian Immunologicals Limited (IIL), Hyderabad.
Hasnain is the Chairman of the Biotechnology Advisory Committee (Government of Andhra Pradesh) and Adviser to the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh on Biotech related issues. He is also the Member of Biotechnology Advisory Committees of Government of Jharkhand, Government of Gujarat and Government of Kerala.
- Robert Koch Fellow (Visiting Scientist Programme)
- Member, German Science Academy – Leopoldina
- Member, Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India
- Member, Scientific Advisory Council to the Union Cabinet – Govt. of India
- Padma Shri Award from the President of India in 2006
- J. C. Bose National Fellow, University of Hyderabad
- Honorary Professor, JNCASR, Bangalore, India
- Founding Fellow and Adviser, ISOGEM
- Distinguished Professor at the Institute of Life Sciences
- Humboldt Research Award 2008 (The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany)
- Dr. Nitya Ananda Endowment Lecture for Biomedical Research, INSA, 2005
- Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Award for Science & Technology, Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Foundation for Science & Technology, 2004
- Goyal Award for Life Sciences, Kurukshetra University, 2004
- Dr. K.V. Rao Scientific Society Endowment Oration Award, Dr. K.V. Rao Scientific Society, 2002
- G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research, K.K. Birla Foundation, 2001
- Indian Academy of Neurology-Oration, New Delhi, 2001
- Rustom Ranji Oration Award, Hyderabad Eye Foundation, 2001
- Platinum Jubilee Lecture Award, Indian Science Congress Association, Chennai, 1999
- Ranbaxy Research Award for Basic Medical Sciences, 1997
- Golden Jubilee Biotechnology Fellowship Award, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, 1997
- NII Award for Outstanding Scientific Achievement, 1995
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in Biological Sciences, 1995
- Professor Uma Kant Sinha Memorial Award, Indian Science Congress Association, Baroda, Jan 1992
- NII Award for "Outstanding Basic Rearch of the Year," 1991
- The YMSA-88 Young Scientist Award for Biological Sciences, awarded jointly by the MAAS and TWAS (Trieste, Italy), 1990
- The Wood-Whelan Fellowship Award administered by the International Union of Biochemistry (IUB), 1989
- WHO Visiting Scientist, NERC Institute of Virology, Oxford, 1989
- IUB-Travel Award, International Congress of Biochemistry, Czechoslovakia, July 1988
- Fellow, Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research, Alberta, Canada, 1983–85
- Akash Ranjan
- Saman Habib
- "PROF.SEYED HASNAIN, University of Hyderabad Memoirs" (PDF). Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- University of Hyderabad Home Page
- "Robert Koch-Fellow"- Programm
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Home Page of Prof. Seyed E Hasnain