Seyed Mostafa Azmayesh
Dr. Seyed Mostafa Azmayesh is an Iranian religious scholar and researcher, based in France, known for his research in the field of Gnosticism, Islam and Christianity and also for his advocacy for Human Rights. His activities focus on the spiritual development of the individual human being and supporting Human Rights, where his most notable efforts have been the push for reform within fundamentalist regimes, such as in Iran, towards the adherence of Human Rights values. Dr. Azmayesh was listed in the Watkins' Mind Body Spirit magazine as one of the 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People in 2012.
Dr. Seyed Mostafa Azmayesh was born in Tehran (Iran) in 1952. On completion of his studies in Arabian Literature (Tehran 1974) and Law (Tehran 1975) he moved to France in 1976 to continue his studies. In Paris he studied Theology and History of Law at the Sorbonne University, as well as Comparative Studies of Islam and Christianity at the University of Lyon for which he received two doctorate degrees. One of his professors was the philosopher and theologian Henri Corbin. After having completed his academic studies he continued his research in the areas of religion, philosophy and various scientific subjects. Dr. Azmayesh was admitted into the lineage of initiates of the Nematollahi-Gonabadi order in 1969, which is the most popular and oldest Sufi order in Iran. Dr. Azmayesh is the official representative of the Shah Ni'matullah Wali Gonabadi Order outside of Iran.
Teacher of Substantial Evolution
A spiritual school, teaching the Substantial Evolution Path, has been founded by Dr. Azmayesh which is based on the development of the inner aptitudes of each individual in order to lead the student towards substantial (spiritual) evolution that is based on principles of tolerance, love, humility and respect for each human being regardless of their background, religion, skin color, etc. Dr. Azmayesh participates in scientific dialogues with other researchers, such as Rupert Sheldrake, Pim van Lommel, Jay Lakhani and Markus Peters, gives lectures and holds classes throughout Europe.
Human Rights Activist
Since the onset of the Iranian revolution in 1979 and the growth of extremist views of Islam he has worked to oppose those who propagate extremist ideas based on the false interpretation of Islam. His activities have included talks in the UN as well as an exclusive interview with Dr. Ahmed Shaheed, the United Nations Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in Iran, and meetings and interviews with members of the European Parliament, who are responsible for covering the Human Rights issues in Iran.
He is the founder of The International Organisation to Protect Human Rights in Iran (IOPHRI). His weekly radio and TV programs via Internet (DorrTV) and through the satellite channel PARS-TV, put pressure on extreme elements within the Iranian regime in order to reform the regimes’ radical movements.
Dr. Azmayesh has, for many years, spoken in opposition to the case of stoning punishments in Iran. In various analyses he showed that there is no relation between Islam and stoning, and claims that tyrants throughout history have always used stoning punishments for reasons of power and suppression. After a long process, the stoning punishment was taken out of the law in Iran in 2011.
In response to the uprising in 2009 following the presidential elections, he supported the expression of free speech and campaigned for the freedom of prominent political prisoners such as Nasrin Sotoudeh (an Iranian female human rights lawyer), Narges Mohammadi and religious and ethnic minorities such as Kurds, Baha’i and Sufis. He has been influential in the release of numerous Sufis who were imprisoned by the extremist elements in the Iranian Regime as part of its program to supress minorities.
- "Heat Meditation: An Introduction to the Gnostic heart". heartmeditation.eu.
- "Consciousness & The Extended Mind part 1 Dr Rupert Sheldrake & Dr Seyed Azmayesh".
- "Lezing "Eindeloos Bewustzijn" met Drs. Pim van Lommel, Dr. Seyed Azmayesh en Gelek Rimpoche". Partyflock.
- ""Herz-Dialoge" - Gespräche zu Bewusstsein & Spiritualität".
- "Violators of human rights in Iran cannot tolerate the activities of "The International Organisation to Preserve Human Rights in Iran" - DidareSabz". DidareSabz.
- نشست تنوعهای قومی - عقیدتی در پارلمان اروپا - YouTube. 22 March 2012 – via YouTube.
- "Interview with Dervishes’ Spokesperson: Clashes and Widespread Arrests of Gonabadi Dervishes". International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran.
- "Dorr TV".
- "جدول پخش برنامه ها".
- User26. "Profile: Nasrin Sotoudeh".
- "Open Letter to the department of justice in Iran on the situation of Dervishes".
- Stephen Suleyman Schwartz. "Iran: Students and Sufis Against Stonings". Gatestone Institute.
- Stephen Schwartz. "Iran Escalates Repression Against Sufis". Weekly Standard.
- user24. "Protest against housearrest of opposition leaders, dervishes and other political prisoners in Iran".
-  Publications of Dr. Azmayesh
-  Progressive Sufi Muslim Movement inspired by Dr. Azmayesh
-  Movie showing an action "A face for Freedom in Iran" inspired by Dr. Azmayesh
-  Current news on the activities of Dr. Azmayesh in Europe and the Human Rights situation in Iran
-  German Website reporting about the activities of Dr. Azmayesh
-  Report about the contribution of Dr. Azmayesh to a conference in Cologne, 4 December 2010